Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Turn off the GaGa: Hot tracks and artists from WVAU

From alt-rock to electro-pop, AU’s radio station chooses a few albums that represent a range of talent and experimentation

Every other week, The Eagle will be asking the assistant music directors and DJs at WVAU what they’re currently listening to. Here’s what they’re recommending.

By Kevin Kunitake:

Lord Huron – Into the Sun EP (self-released)

There isn’t much to say about Lord Huron, because frankly, this three-song EP is the band’s only release. Thus, the only thing left to talk about is how great this EP sounds. The band layers guitars, vocals, running water, bird chirps and what sounds like a moose to give this release a “let’s go on a picnic and eat sandwiches” type of feel. (The disputed moose sample is on the second track.) The EP flows effortlessly like the running water sample in the first track, and if it’s any indicator of what a debut album might sound like, Lord Huron may soon be heavily buzzed about within blogs and indie circles.

Recommended Tracks: All (there are only three to pick from)

Recommended if you like: Panda Bear, Princeton, Blackbird Blackbird

By Alex Rudolph:

Casiokids – Topp Stemning På Lokal Bar (Polyvinyl)

Some of the songs on Casiokids’ United States debut sound like they could be a little too precious (think Moldy Peaches), but because they’re sung in Norwegian, we’re allowed to forget about the lyrics and take everything in based on the glitchy yet catchy dance pop instrumentals. The term “European electronica” can conjure images of sweaty raves, but these songs are more Whitest Boy Alive and less that guy with the frosted soul patch who made “Sandstorm.” The bleeps and bloops sound like they’re being made on primitive technology, which adds a nice layer of nostalgia to the whole album.

Recommended Tracks: 1, 4, 6

Recommended if you like: The Whitest Boy Alive, Peter Bjorn and John, Datarock

By Alex Rudolph:

Grinderman – Grinderman 2 (ANTI-)

Grinderman is Nick Cave’s Bad Seeds distorted blues guitar-driven side project. Piano ballads? HA. Lyrics about love? A song titled “When My Baby Comes” is the closest you’ll get. The quiet songs all hit noise explosion crescendos, the loud songs never get quiet, and all of the songs are about rough sex. Nick Cave is 52 and he’s writing songs like “Kitchenette,” which includes a dozen culinary-related metaphors for vaginas (“biscuit jar” is a favorite). If you can’t get behind that, Cave and Grinderman will never appeal to you. If you can, this will be your favorite album of the year.

Recommended Tracks: 1, 3, 7

Recommended if you like: The Birthday Party, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Dinosaur Jr.

By Brad Barbour:

Maximum Balloon – Maximum Balloon (DGC)

The concept of a wunderkind producer pulling strings with his famous friends to make a wacky album is not new; hell, Damon Alburn does it with the Gorillaz every five years or so. And while it shares a similar spirit to the animated band’s phenomenal “Plastic Beach” (who isn’t Little Boots collaborating with these days), David Sitek, mastermind behind TV on the Radio, is deft enough to surprise the listener with a wide range of crazy, danceable collaborations, ranging from the mediocre (“Absence of Light,” somehow not hitting the mark with his own band mate Tunde Adebimpe) to the awesome (“Communion,” where Karen O dominates everything). Overall though, a fun, danceable, electro album chock full of your favorite indie stars (and David Byrne!) is nothing to be bummed about.

Recommended Tracks: 4, 6, 9

Recommended if you like: Gorillaz, Talking Heads, TV on the Radio

By Emily White:

Land of Talk – Cloak and Cipher (Saddle Creek)

This is Montreal trio Land of Talk’s third album. Vocalist and songwriter Lizzy Powell’s vocals are the highlight of this album as they float over thick, sometimes clumsy, guitars. This is girly indie rock with an irreverent, visceral edge. It has some grit, but is still melodic and intimate. It has a bit of a ‘90s girl alt-rock feel to it, but the instrumentation keeps it current — it almost goes into a chillwave/noise pop category. Overall, it’s a really enjoyable listen with some great moments. Members of Stars, Arcade Fire, and the Besnard Lakes contribute.

Recommended Tracks: 5, 8, 7, 4

Recommended if you like: Broken Social Scene, PJ Harvey, Feist, Surfer Blood