Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Hot Spot: A Slice of Life

This summer Pete’s Apizza opened a new place at the corner of Wisconsin Avenue and Fessenden Street, smack right in between Tenleytown and Friendship Heights. They claim to have the best pizza in D.C., so I decided to check it out.

It was worth it.

Their pizza, which is “New Haven-style apizza,” is the crunchiest and tastiest I’ve had in quite a while. I went with a classic cheese slice and a small Caesar salad, but Pete’s has a nice variety of pizzas, pastas and even panini. Feel free to pair a slice with a salad but only if you think you’ll have space left for the tiramisu, which is delicious. I was surprised to see they didn’t have Coca-Cola or Pepsi in stock; instead, Pete’s has all-natural Boylan Sodas, which are surprisingly very tasty.

It can get crowded around dinner time, so expect a long line and wait for a table. However, if you plan to catch dinner after 8:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, show your AU ID and Pete’s will give you a 25 percent discount.

Expect to spend: pizza by-the-slice starts at $2.50, while pastas can go all the way up to $12; pie prices are in the mid-$20 range.

Be sure to try: Pete’s trademark New Haven-style apizza