Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

Police blotter

Sept. 23

Facilities Management reported discovering damage to the floor of the School of International Service building at the main entrance. A student reported an unidentified contractor drove a cherry picker through the main entrance to conduct work inside the building at approximately 10 p.m.

Sept. 24

D.C. Fire Department transported a sick person from the Kay Spiritual Center to the hospital.

Public Safety responded to a fire alarm in the Beeghly Chemistry building. The building was evacuated. Reportedly, an instructor was demonstrating a magnesium reaction, which ignited a fire. The instructor extinguished it with a fire extinguisher. A small area (approximately 1 ½ inches in diameter) on a table was damaged. Approximately 30 students were in the class at the time of the demonstration. No injuries were reported. Risk Management responded and provided guidance to clean the area. Aramark was contacted.

Public Safety responded to a fire alarm in Roper Hall. The building was evacuated. The odor of slightly burned food emanated from the first floor lobby. The stove was off upon Public Safety arrival. A student stated she left sauce unattended on the stovetop. No damage or injuries were reported. The alarm was reset.

A rear window was broken, and a purse was taken from a parked vehicle at Rockwood Parkway near Fletcher Gate.

Public Safety observed individual #1 being assisted by individual #2 in the Letts/Anderson Quad. Individual #1 was unable to walk on his own, appeared heavily intoxicated, and appeared to have vomited on himself. Individual #2 indicated they both had been drinking alcoholic beverages at an off-campus location. DCFD transported individual #1 to the hospital.

Public Safety responded to the north side of the Letts/Anderson quad for a report of a sick person. The individual appeared intoxicated. The individual indicated she consumed alcoholic beverages at an off-campus bar. She vomited and was unable to keep her head up. DCFD transported her to the hospital. The fraudulent identification was confiscated.

Oct. 15

Library staff reported finding an Eagle newspaper inside Bender Library open to a photo of an Aramark employee. Using a pen, someone had drawn black markings over the face in the photo (marking around the eyes and eyebrows, a moustache, goatee and blackened teeth). The reporting person notified the employee’s supervisor.

A resident returned to her unsecured room in Leonard Hall and found an unidentified suspect inside. The suspect apologized for being in the wrong room, exited quickly, and headed toward the McDowell bridge area in the hall. The resident and her roommate discovered cash and debit cards missing from the room.

Oct. 16

A student reported his bicycle was stolen from his front yard at Arizona Avenue NW. An acquaintance advised him the bicycle was secured to a Letts/Anderson bike rack. Public Safety found the bike at the rack. Later, the owner recovered it.

A student left her purse in a women’s bathroom at 18th Street NW. It was gone when she went to retrieve it. Club management stated it had not been given to them.

Oct. 17

Public Safety observed a group of five individuals overturn a trash can and a flower pot in front of the Kay Spiritual Center. The group ran as Public Safety approached. Public Safety was able to detain one individual and barred him from AU property. He would not name the other individuals involved in the incident. The can and pot were not damaged.

Oct. 18

DCFD transported a sick/injured person from McDowell Hall to Sibley Hospital.

Public Safety responded to a report of an injured person inside Hughes Hall. A medical refusal form was signed.

Oct. 19

A student reported her iPod Touch was taken from her bag between 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. on Oct. 7 in the Terrace Dining Room.

DCFD transported a sick person from Capital Hall to Sibley Hospital.

Oct. 20

DCFD and the Department of Public Safety responded to a report of an injured person inside Hurst Hall. A medical refusal form was signed.

Public Safety responded to a report of suspicious activity outside the president’s office and discovered a student sitting on the ground holding a water pipe and lighter. A strong odor of marijuana was present. The individual indicated he was smoking marijuana. The contraband was confiscated and later tested positive for marijuana.

Public Safety and Facilities Management responded to a fire alarm in the McKinley Building. The building was evacuated. No signs of smoke or fire were detected. A pull station in the basement near the main stairs had been activated. The alarm was reset.