Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

National Gallery fountain freezes for festive District skating season

It’s that time of year again.

The sundresses are packed away and the bulky jackets are pulled out of closets as the changing red and yellow leaves excuse the darkening skies.

And yet, the air is crisp enough for the fountain at the center of the National Gallery of Art’s Sculpture Garden to literally turn to ice.

As you walk into the garden, the labyrinthine pathway leads you through the aesthetically pleasing sculptures and works of art. The trees and flowers heighten the experience of being immersed in art. The pathway starts to approach the rink, and you can hear the sounds of people laughing and falling. You pass by the Pavilion Cafe, where people are starting to crowd inside and avoid the outdoor tables as it gets chillier.

Once you reach the ice rink, it is both crowded and isolated. The rink, which is made from the large fountain that sits in the middle of the Sculpture Garden, is surrounded by the artistic sculptures and foliage, separating it from the rest of the world. Seeing so many people there is both surprising and pleasing, as they add life and joy to the beautiful but lifeless sculptures that surround them.

The ice rink officially opened to the public this year on Nov. 13. The rink has attracted thousands of visitors since it first opened in 2000, and remains a staple of the D.C. winter season. Located on the National Mall between 7th and 9th Streets along Constitution Avenue Northwest, it is the perfect location for both tourists and locals to enjoy a cold winter’s day. The ice skating season will continue through mid-March, weather permitting.

Skaters may have access to all the skating lessons, hot chocolate and guided tours they want, but the real attractions are the surrounding sculptures and view.

The Sculpture Garden has been an artistic treasure for years, and includes seventeen works from the Gallery’s growing collection, as well as loaned works on special exhibitions.

As the sun sets earlier and the days grow shorter, the lights that encircle the ice rink are much appreciated, both for practical and aesthetic reasons. They illuminate the rink and the faces of the skaters as they skate to the beat of the pop music that is played 24/7.

Despite being in such a public place, going to the ice rink is a surprisingly intimate experience. The grandeur of the surrounding buildings is softened by the beautiful foliage and sculptures. The works of art add an almost surreal feeling to the festive environment.