Talent, not morals, dictate Michael Vick’s return to football

On Monday Night Football last week, as the Philadelphia Eagles beat the Pop Warner Redskins, the announcers began a conversation about Michael Vick’s return to the NFL. They discussed Eagles’ Head Coach Andy Reid’s decision to give Vick a second chance, mentioning that both of Reid’s sons have dealt with their own legal troubles over the last few years. While that makes for a nice story, it is naïve to think that the Philadelphia QB was signed as some sort of social statement.

The Eagles signed Michael Vick because of his talent. He was signed because he was perhaps the best athlete the sport had ever seen before he went to jail. Quite simply, he was brought to Philadelphia because the Eagles thought he put them in a better position to succeed.

If someone with far less talent than Vick had gone to prison for 23 months, there’s no chance he would have gotten a contract right away. So it’s not about second chances. It’s about second chances for talented players.

This is true throughout the league. Terrell Owens has worn out his welcome everywhere he’s played, yet he continues to get contract offers. In his case, he’s had a second, third and fourth chance, with chance number five coming up real soon.

Do you think a third-string defensive tackle would even be able to keep his employer on the phone for five seconds if he started complaining about how he disapproves of the new defensive scheme? The typical reaction from a general manager or coach would be, “I’m sorry you feel that way. Good luck with your next team.” Now, the Albert Haynesworth situation is mostly about money, but if the Redskins didn’t think he could be productive in some way, he wouldn’t still be with the team.

There are plenty of free agents available right now that are looking for second chances one way or another. Jamarcus Russell is looking for a second chance coming off of an arrest for illegal codeine possession. The reason that he’s not getting one is because he’s been awful on the field.

It’s simple, if an athlete is even remotely talented, he will get chance after chance after chance in the NFL. This is evidenced by the career of Adam “Pacman” Jones. Jones has been arrested seven times dating back to college and teams are still willing to take a chance on him. The strange part about this is that Jones hasn’t been particularly good in his career.

It takes place in all of the major sports. Manny Ramirez just stops playing baseball after a while everywhere he goes, yet continues to receive contract offers. Sean Avery was released by the Dallas Stars in 2009 after he made comments about a player on the Calgary Flames falling in love with his “sloppy seconds,” because the player was dating Avery’s former girlfriend. The Rangers quickly signed Avery, who had success with the team the previous year. In the NBA, Ron Artest continues to be employed because he’s a former defensive player of the year.

Andy Reid’s job is to win. And part of winning is putting the best talent you possibly can on the field. His job is not to create a fluff piece about redemption for a TV network. Vick deserves a second chance, but the belief that the Eagles signed him so that he could redeem himself in some way is insane. Sports is a business, and nothing sells better than winning.

blasky@theeagleonline.com