Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

WVAU reviews

Bikini – RIP JDS (The India Trading Company/Lefse Records)

OK, their name is Bikini, so naturally this EP is going to make you nostalgic for those lazy, more carefree days of summer. Warm, looping electro-pop layers and faraway vocals make for some excellent distorted dance pop. Sample-based and textured, it makes you want to dance in that twirly, spazzy hippie way, if you know what I mean. The N.Y. duo appropriately describes their sound as “J.D. Salinger on MDMA.”

Recommended if you like: Neon Indian, Panda Bear, MGMT Recommended tracks: 3, 4, 5 -Carrie Walters

N.E.R.D. – Nothing (Interscope)

N.E.R.D. is so far out of the box that anything that they do doesn’t even seem to surprise people anymore. “Nothing,” the band’s fourth studio album blends elements of electronic, hip-hop, rock, and funk. With only two features — one from the recently re-incarcerated T.I. and the other from Nelly Furtado — “Nothing” is more a showcase about the instrumentation. Their latest single, “Hypnotize U,” has production help from Daft Punk. The band has also seemed to take criticisms about their lyrical content to heart. On the track “Life as a Fish,” Pharrell sings about evolution and the environment in ways that would make even Captain Planet teary-eyed. Have no doubt that N.E.R.D. takes their albums about partying and women as seriously as they do the environment.

Recommended if you like: The Neptunes, Chester French, Lupe Fiasco Recommended tracks: 1, 2, 6, 8 -Kevin Kunitake

Rye Rye ft. M.I.A. — Sunshine (single)

Baltimore rapper Rye Rye has collaborated with Blaqstarr and Diplo, toured with M.I.A. and Afrikan Boy, appeared on various remixes, and birthed a baby boy — all since the age of 16. Now at 19 years old, her debut album, “Go! Pop! Bang!,” was released Nov. 11.  Rye Rye is signed to M.I.A.’s label N.E.E.T. and Maya makes a guest appearance on the first single, “Sunshine.” The track has an entrancing beat, schoolyard hand-claps and chants, a swaggering bass-line, and quirky synths. It’s like a less cluttered and more swanky version of Rye Rye’s previous single with M.I.A., “Bang.” On “Sunshine,” M.I.A. brings the hook and catchy “dum dum dum” backup-vocals while Rye Rye’s verses bring undeniable swagger and confidence. This quirky, dissonant track is addictive and hopefully a reflection of the upcoming album.

Recommended if you like: M.I.A., Diplo, Santogold, Nicki Minaj -Emily White

Pomegranates — One of Us (Afternoon Records)

The third full album by Pomegranates, “One of Us,” is characterized by dreamy lyrics, hazy ambient backgrounds and sparkling instrumentation. The album bounces almost schizophrenically between soft and dreamy tunes to songs with a harder beat and groove. It’s sweet, accessible and simple. Joey Cook’s falsetto shimmers over the lush melodies. Fuzzed-out guitars, slinky bass, and soft piano create a dream-pop/chillwave landscape both energetic and relaxed.

Recommended if you like: Wavves, Deerhunter, Surfer Blood, The Flaming Lips Recommended Tracks: 2, 3, 7, 8 -Emily White