Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Movie and television reviews

“The Social Network”

Ok, let’s get this out of the way. It’s not the new “Citizen Kane.” It doesn’t have its “finger on the pulse of a generation” or any other clichéd reviewer talk. In fact, to say that the film is so grounded in the technological era that it only represents our generation would be reductive. “The Social Network” manages tell a riveting tale of the rise of the Facebook phenomenon through subtle storytelling and character work that can hold up to future viewings, thanks in part to its excellent lead in Jesse Eisenberg and a compelling script by Aaron Sorkin.

Eisenberg plays the role of Mark Zuckerberg with a demeanor that’s equal parts robotic and paranoid, driven not only by the promise of success but also deeper personal issues. He’s more Daniel Plainview than Gordon Gekko, but with an inner thoughtfulness that creates sympathy for a character who might easily fall into the trap of parody. Throw in some striking visuals from Director David Fincher and Sorkin’s machine-gun dialogue, and we have a film that is modern in subject matter but timeless in concept.

— Michael W. Richardson

“Inception”

Christopher Nolan is, in essence, a classy Michael Bay. After revamping the tired “Batman” film series into a bonafide, Oscar-winning, blockbuster smash, Nolan set out to amaze audiences again with his action packed think film, “Inception.” The film boasts an incredible cast including Leonardo DiCaprio, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page and Michael Caine.

The film follows Dom Cobb (DiCaprio), a spy that ventures into people’s minds once they are asleep and steals information from their subconscious. And from there, things get insane. Sure, maybe the plot doesn’t exactly “make sense” but when there are so many amazing stunts and special effects to keep you entertained — not to mention a rather dapper Joseph Gordon Levitt — who really cares?

— Yohana Desta and Stephan Cho

“Toy Story 3”

It’s almost redundant at this point to label the newest Pixar film a masterpiece, but Toy Story 3 is quite literally, a perfect film. For millennials, who at the tender age of five watched frenemies Woody and Buzz become best friends, Toy Story 3 is particularly meaningful. The third and likely final installment of this beloved franchise marked the end of not just Andy’s childhood, but ours too. We grew up right along side of Andy, and as he transitioned from high school to college, and from child to adult, we did too. Though poignant for our generation, Toy Story 3 is truly a film made for anyone who’s ever had a friend, who’s ever felt abandoned or lonely, and anyone who’s ever felt that familiar pressure in their throat once they’ve said goodbye. The final moments of the film are not just about Andy’s final moments with the toys he’s grown up with, but about having the courage to say goodbye and let go. It was a perfect, bittersweet close to a film series we never really wanted, or want to end.

— Kelly Holliday

“It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” — Thursdays at 10 p.m. (FX)

Admittedly, I don’t watch a whole lot of television shows, especially during their regular timeslots (thank you, Hulu). But whenever I get the chance, I’m in the mood for something that doesn’t take itself too seriously. Something crude, pithy and funny — which is exactly how I would describe “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.” The hilarity of this show is just how outrageous the characters are as well as the impossibility of their situations. It takes multiple viewings to get used to a cast that’s so unlikeable, but it’s all so worth it.

— Yohana Desta

“Parenthood” — Tuesdays at 10 p.m. (NBC)

Perhaps the most underrated show on air today, NBC’s “Parenthood” is one hour of television that every child and parent should be watching. The show, based on the 1989 Ron Howard film of the same name, follows the Braverman family as they deal with the struggles of marriage, children, racism, heartbreak, social disorders, betrayal and above all, parenting. Despite the heavy issues it discusses, “Parenthood” perfectly balances comedy, drama and sentimentalism without the cheese factor.

Adam (Peter Krause), who juggles a neurotic wife and autistic son, and Sarah (Lauren Graham, perfect in her post-“Gilmore Girls” role as the scatterbrained unemployed mother of two teenagers), lead the show as the two oldest Braverman siblings, wonderfully blending sarcasm and sincerity to create too-real insight into the lives of parents. Compared to shows like “Teen Mom” and the campy “Brothers and Sisters,” “Parenthood” is an eerily honest portrayal of everyday family life that’s all too rare on television these days.

— Kelly Holliday

“Community” — Thursdays at 8 p.m. (NBC)

A lot of television shows fetishize the history of television and films, drawing influences and in-jokes from obscure trivia that only the devotees of pop culture would know. For that reason alone, “Community” has more to offer pop-culture addicts than the average television consumer. But at it’s best, Dan Harmon’s newest show can create the most engaging deconstructions of movie genres and still manage to wrap them around a cast of characters that you can care about.

Though the show is set in the pedestrian setting of Greendale Community College, it has created elaborate parodies of the mobster genre (in which a character sets up a black market for delicious chicken fingers, complete with Henry Hill-esque voiceovers) zombie films, and its greatest achievement, an elaborate send-up of war movies involving a paint-ball match gone horribly wrong (I’ll risk hyperbole and say that this episode, “Modern Warfare” may be one of the best episodes of any show in a decade). But these parodies are wrapped around a cast of solid characters who are more fully human than any other sitcom is willing to sketch.

— Michael W. Richardson