Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

2011 films to deliver superhero blockbusters, franchise sequels

The passing of 2010 brings a slew of movies to look forward to in 2011. The Scene compiled a list of some of the most anticipated films of the year, including some wizards, pirates and an unnatural dose of superheroes.

The Men in Green: “The Green Hornet” (Jan. 14)

The first of the green-clad superhero movies to be released this year, “The Green Hornet” stars Seth Rogen cast against type as a millionaire heir-turned-crime fighter. Chinese pop star Jay Chou takes on the role of his sidekick Kato, a role originally made famous on the 1960s television show by a young Bruce Lee. The modern spin on the story, with Kato being the brains behind Seth Rogen’s clumsy protagonist, makes “The Green Hornet” a movie to look out for in 2011.

“The Green Lantern” (June 17)

“The Green Lantern” on the other hand, looks to be a traditional superhero origin movie, with Ryan Reynolds playing the green (literally and figuratively) protector of the universe. Reynolds’ Hal Jordan is cocky and flighty, flirting with his boss played by Blake Lively, and doing daring stunts with his plane. Fans of the comic book hero might be somewhat irked by Reynolds’ lighter take on an originally more serious character, but no one can deny that Reynolds looks amazing in that bright green suit.

Book Adaptations “Water for Elephants” (April 22)

The best-selling novel of the same name by Sara Gruen was an excellent piece of literature just waiting to be adapted to the silver screen. But when it was announced that the film would be starring Robert Pattinson as the main character Jacob Jankowski, things looked a bit bleaker.

However, the recently released trailer has swayed some doubtful minds, and the movie is looking more like a faithful adaptation of the book.

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2” (July 15)

It’s hard to fathom that it’s been 10 years since the first Harry Potter film was released, and even longer since the first book was released. But the global cultural phenomenon that is Harry Potter is finally coming to an end — and we’re going to miss it.

The midnight showings, book signings and various Potter paraphernalia that has accumulated over the years (including an Internet musical) can’t even come close to explaining the impact that Harry Potter has made upon this generation. Thanks to David Yates’ fantastic direction with “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1,” and the much-anticipated battle at Hogwarts, Part 2 looks to be the glorious and dynamic ending that the fans expect and the boy wizard deserves.

Superheroes! Again! “Thor” (May 6)

It’s a difficult sell to begin with — a Norse god who loses favor with his fellow deities gets cast down to Earth and there becomes a protector of mankind. The Norse folklore in which “Thor” is steeped adds a nice twist to the tired superhero origin story, and with Marvel pulling out all the stops in casting and geek references to the Marvel universe, “Thor” looks to be an “Iron Man”-sized success.

“Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides” (May 20)

You could probably list numerous reasons why Disney shouldn’t make another “Pirates” movie. You could argue that it wouldn’t be as good without Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley reprising their roles in the fourth film, or that the second and third movies weren’t that good to begin with.

However, “On Stranger Tides” promises to deliver that Johnny Depp charm that won over audiences in the first place, as well as his potential chemistry with beauty Penelope Cruz. “On Stranger Tides” is sure to be explosive summer fun, and definitely something to put on your calendars for 2011.

The Only New Original Movies “Super 8” (June 10)

“Super 8” is the mysterious, much-buzzed about movie by director J.J. Abrams, the creator of sci-fi and cult hits like “Lost,” “Fringe” and the director of the recent “Star Trek” film. Once again, he bestows his magic touch on the film “Super 8.” Not much is known about the film other than the title and the cast, which includes Elle Fanning, Amanda Michalka, and Kyle Chandler. Abrams is one of those few directors who can create buzz and excitement about a new project by just attaching his name to it. And he has succeeded.

hbui@theeagleonline.com