Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Movie Review: 'The Eagle'

Grade: B Scene Says: Squandered potential abounds

It’s been a while since we’ve seen a Roman-era drama of the quality of “Spartacus,” “Gladiator” or “Troy” — and it might take a while longer.

“The Eagle,” based on the Rosemary Sutcliffe novel, “The Eagle of the Ninth,” does its very best to join those ranks. However, not even an all-star cast (starring Channing Tatum, Jamie Bell, Donald Sutherland and Mark Strong) can save this (occasionally) painfully slow movie.

Marcus Aquilis (Tatum), is the son of one of Rome’s most famous, or perhaps infamous, generals. The general’s most renowned achievement? Losing 5,000 soldiers in the North of Britain.

In a quest for redemption, Marcus manages to achieve an officer’s post at his father’s old fortress, near Hadrian’s Wall in Britain. After a crippling attack on the fortress by the barbaric Gaelic tribes, Marcus conscripts a young British slave, Esca (Bell), to serve as his guide through the isolated northern territories.

The movie tries to take on many roles. It is a traveling adventure movie, with huge swaths of the movie filmed in beautiful, “Lord of the Rings”-esque vistas of Hungary or on location in the Scottish Highlands. It is a buddy movie, of sorts. The ever-changing relationship between slave and master, oppressor and oppressed, friend and enemy, is a central theme of the film. Lastly, it is most definitely an action movie. And if you go for no other reason, go to see the incredible, beautifully-choreographed action scenes. However, above all, the movie is a historical film with modern political undertones.

However, despite the careful attention to historical detail (the phalanx formations and authentic Gaelic dialogue spring to mind), “The Eagle” falls flat on its face by the second act.

The movie’s somber, tranquil tone makes for profoundly eerie scenes. It leads to a slow movie, punctuated by explosive and intense action scenes. It’s a recommended watch, if only for the movie it comes very close to being: a poignant, moving film about freedom and honor. Instead, “The Eagle” is a jack-of-all-trades, and master of none.