Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

Police blotter

Jan. 28

The Department of Public Safety and Facilities Management responded to a fire alarm inside the Dunblane House reportedly activated by smoke in zone #5 attic. No sign of smoke or fire was found. Facilities Management found a problem with a water flow pump in the basement. A repair ticket would be initiated.

A Public Safety officer noticed two individuals arguing with a cab driver on the Letts/Anderson Quad. The driver stated the individuals asked if he was a Jew and were making jokes in reference to the question. The officer instructed the driver to enter his vehicle and leave before the situation escalated. One of the individuals cursed at the driver. The officer advised the individual to go inside. The individual cursed at the officer. The officer asked the individuals for identification. Using a curse word, one of the individuals stated he was not a student. The two individuals ran but were stopped by other officers. It was determined both individuals were students. SCCR Charges will be filed.

Public Safety responded to the Kreeger Building for an injured person. The individual indicated the injury occurred on the Child Development Center roadway. A medical refusal form was signed.

An employee noticed candy was taken from a jar which she left on her desk in her office overnight in the Osborn Building. She found mail addressed to another individual on her desk. She gave the mail to her supervisor.

Due to city power outage, an employee was temporarily stuck in a Katzen Arts Center elevator. The doors to the elevator opened when power was restored. No injuries were reported.

Public Safety responded to a report of an injured person in Bender Arena. The injured person stated his friend would transport him to the hospital.

Jan. 29

A student came to Public Safety and reported an injury she sustained earlier in front of the Anderson Computer Lab. She stated she went to the hospital.

At 1:33 a.m., Public Safety observed an individual who appeared intoxicated in the area of McDonald’s. D.C. Fire Department responded and attempted to evaluate the individual in an ambulance. The individual got out of the ambulance and fled from the scene. He was not pursued.

At 3:27 a.m., Public Safety responded to Letts Hall for an intoxicated individual. A resident assistant reported the individual stated he started drinking at an undisclosed fraternity party around 2300 hours. DCFD was contacted. The individual’s condition worsened and he began to vomit. DCFD transported him to the hospital.

Public Safety and DCFD responded to a report of an injured person in McDowell Hall. A medical refusal form was signed.

A bicycle was taken from a bike rack in the Letts/Anderson Quad. The bike had been secured to the rack with a lock. The lock was cut.

DCFD transported a sick person from the Sports Center female locker rooms, accompanied by a witness, to the hospital.

Public Safety and DCFD responded to a report of an individual stuck in a Mary Graydon Center elevator. The individual was released. No injuries were reported.

DCFD and Public Safety responded to the South side shuttle stop, for a report of an injured person. The injury occurred on a shuttle bus at the Tenleytown Shuttle Stop. The bus transported the individual to the South side shuttle stop. DCFD transported the individual to the hospital.

While screening individuals entering Bender Arena for a basketball game, event staff found an individual with an unopened can of beer in her purse. Public Safety disposed of the beer. The individual was not granted admittance to the basketball game.

While screening individuals entering Bender Arena for a basketball game, event staff found an individual with two unopened cans of beer in his coat. Public Safety disposed of the beer. The individual was not granted admittance to the basketball game.

While screening individuals entering the Bender Arena for a basketball game, event staff found an individual in possession of a travel mug and water bottle. When asked, the individual said the mug contained whiskey and Coca-Cola. Public Safety disposed of the alcohol and returned the containers to the individual. The individual was not granted admittance to the basketball game. SCCR charges will be filed.

DCFD transported a sick individual from Anderson Hall to the hospital.

Public Safety responded to a complaint individuals coming from or going to a residence on the 4300 Block of 43rd St. NW had been slamming car doors outside the residence earlier in the evening. No noise emanated from the residence and no one was outside upon Public Safety arrival. Attempts to contact the complainant to obtain additional information were unsuccessful.

Jan. 30

A bicycle was taken from the Letts/Anderson Quad. It had been secured with a combination lock and cable. The cable was found on the ground. It had been cut.

Jan. 31

At 10:50 a.m., Public Safety saw an individual exit an AU shuttle bus on campus. The individual had been previously barred from AU property. The individual did not have a bicycle upon exiting the bus. At approximately 11:37 a.m., Public Safety saw the individual on campus with a bicycle. He was in possession of a portable saw. The individual was taken into custody. A cut cable style lock was retrieved from the northeast LA quad bicycle rack. The individual was issued another barring notice. Public Safety is attempting to identify the owner of the bike. MPD was notified.

A bicycle was taken from the Letts/Anderson Quad. It had been secured to a railing via a combination cable lock.

A coat was taken from an unsecured locker inside the Sports Center. A cell phone and keys were in the coat’s pockets.

Public Safety responded to a report of an injured person in Federal Hall. The individual signed a medical refusal form. The individual hailed a cab to seek additional medical attention.

Feb. 1

DCFD transported an injured person from Hughes Hall to the hospital.

DCFD transported an injured person from the Department of Performing Arts Costume Shop to the Hospital.

A student discovered her bicycle was taken from the Letts/Anderson Quad. It had been secured with a cable lock.

A student discovered her AU ID missing and later learned it was used to make fraudulent charges.

Feb. 2

While on routine patrol, Public Safety noticed graffiti written with a blue marker in a stairwell of the East Quad Building. Aramark was notified to have it removed.

DCFD transported an injured person from Bender Arena to the hospital.

Feb. 3

Money was discovered missing from a cash drawer in the Bender Library.

A neighbor reported individuals were slamming car doors during the evening as the individuals were coming from and going to a residence occupied by AU students. Upon arrival at 11:59 p.m., Public Safety heard no noise emanating from the residence. Public Safety conducted another patrol at 1:42 a.m. At that time an unidentified resident came out of the house and was advised to keep the noise level down.

Feb. 4

Public Safety responded to a noise complaint involving AU students. A complainant stated there was a loud party at the residence. The complainant stated he also called MPD. Upon Public Safety arrival, MPD was leaving the scene. No noise was emanating from the residence.

Feb. 5

While on patrol, a resident assistant discovered damaged property in a Federal Hall men’s restroom. The damage consisted of the following: A broken towel rack; a torn shower curtain; an overturned trash can; a “caution wet floor” sign in a toilet and a towel dispenser which had been forced open and the contents removed.

A complainant opened her door in Letts Hall at 10:00 a.m. and noticed the carpet in front of the door was wet and had a strong odor of urine. Aramark responded and cleaned the carpet.

Three laptop computers and cash were taken from a residence hall room in Capital Hall. Reportedly, the room was secured when left unoccupied although the dead bolt was not used. There were no signs of forced entry.

DCFD, Facilities Management and Public Safety responded to an individual stuck in a Hughes Hall elevator. DCFD freed the individual from the elevator. No injuries were reported.

Feb. 6

Public Safety and DCFD responded to Letts Hall for a report of an intoxicated student in Letts Hall. Upon arrival, student #1 was vomiting and barely responsive. DCFD transported student #1, accompanied by another student to the hospital.

Public Safety and MPD responded to a residence for a noise complaint. Upon arrival, music and the sound of people’s voices were heard coming from the residence. Two students answered the door. They were advised to lower the noise.

Public Safety responded to a report of two suspicious individuals in front of Leonard Hall. Upon arrival, they claimed to have been visiting a student inside the residence hall and were attempting to return to the student’s room. Public Safety and a resident assistant went to the student’s room to verify the visitors’ story. Alcohol was discovered in the student’s room. The student’s speech was slightly slurred and she had a slightly staggered walk. She stated she had been drinking on campus with the two visitors. She disposed of the alcohol in a bathroom. The two visitors were issued barring notices.

Resident assistants reported discovering three signs torn from the wall near rooms 420, 423 and the fourth floor laundry room in Centennial Hall. Facilities Management will be notified.

DCFD transported an intoxicated, unresponsive individual from Capital Hall to the hospital.