Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

The Case for the Lombardi Trophy going to the Green Bay Packers

It’s that time of year again, the time of year where I destroy Tyler Tomea with my Super Bowl pick. There is no clear favorite this year, but in the end, the Green Bay Packers will be sending one of their own to Disney World.

Some Steelers backers will point to the fact that Pittsburgh had the best run defense in 2010. However, that shouldn’t affect the Packers all that much because they have a one-dimensional offense anyway. They’ve shown throughout the season that they can win without a running game. The team’s leading rusher, Brandon Jackson, had only 703 rushing yards overall. None of their running backs averaged four yards a carry. John Kuhn led the team in rushing touchdowns with only four. Despite all this, the Packers won 10 games this season.

It all comes down to Aaron Rodgers. In his three postseason games this year, Rodgers has a 71 completion percentage, to go along with 790 passing yards, six touchdown passes and a 109.2 passer rating. If Rodgers continues to play like this, the Steelers have little chance at taking home their seventh Super Bowl trophy.

The Steelers will also have difficulty stopping Troy Polamalu’s hair rival, linebacker Clay Matthews and will also need to find a way to take out defensive tackle B.J. Raji. The Steelers already had a weakened offensive line, and now rookie Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, is out for the Super Bowl with a fracture in his ankle. Their starting left tackle, Jonathan Scott, is playing for his third team in his five-year career. The Steelers have Flozell Adams at right tackle, which would be great if this game were played three years ago. With Pouncey out, the Steelers may become one dimensional as well. That is, if the Packers don’t miss 10 tackles every time Rashard Mendenhall touches the ball.

Like in any sport, it’s not necessarily the most talented team that wins it all, but the hottest team. Right now, the Packers are playing the best football. The San Francisco Giants won the World Series because guys like Cody Ross suddenly became Ted Williams for a two-week span. In just three playoff games this season, Tramon Williams has three interceptions, half of what he had in the regular season. Packers’ rookie RB James Starks had 29 carries for 101 yards and no touchdowns during the regular season. In the first round of the playoffs against the Philadelphia Eagles, Starks had 23 carries for 105 yards. Every year, these relatively unknown players step up and play better than anyone expected.

Right now, the Packers just have that Super Bowl swagger. They just seem to be rolling on all cylinders. Aaron Rodgers is on fire and their defense has been coming up with big plays when the team needs them.

With the hottest QB in football, an aging and injured Steelers offensive line and a Packers defense that has been dominant, Green Bay will win 24-17 and the Lombardi Trophy will return home.

blasky@theeagleonline.com