Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Fashion: Look of the Week: a southern accent

For some, spring break meant going home, relaxing and putting all those countless assignments to the side for a while. But for others, it meant going south and getting away to a tropical paradise filled with endless palm trees, the sound of the waves crashing on the beach and the feel of the sunshine hitting our skin all day long — such was the case when I traveled to Florida. And with warm weather here in the District, it’s time to prepare for new spring fashion trends.

On the hunt for the next big style statement, I had to look no further than my very own sister, Victoria Moutis. This fashionista had the fortunate opportunity to spend her spring break in a place where she was able to adopt a summer-friendly style because of the hot climate. With this warm atmosphere comes new fashion trends!

The first things that caught my eye were her stunning red wedges. The color was what made the entire outfit pop, turning it into a fabulous accent that complemented the entire ensemble. Wedges always come out as the temperature starts to climb, to accentuate long, tanned legs. These particular ones are endlessly flattering. Different varieties of reds and oranges, and any bright colors are a huge trend this spring. You can add a bunch of bright colors together or take Moutis’ advice and just flaunt one bright hue for a head-turning statement.

To simplify the rest of the outfit, she added a white, high-waisted short paired with a chunky, woven camel brown belt that she pulled off exceptionally well. On top she wore a comfy black tank. The combination of black and white is also a trend to look out for this spring season. Moutis’ eye-popping ensemble gives us a sneak peek to what lies ahead in the spring, so it’s time to get excited for the new trends and the new weather on its way!

Moutis’ focus of the outfit was definitely putting all eyes on the shoes.

“Since I haven’t been exposed to warm weather in what seems like forever, it made me really want to pull out these wedges and show off their bright colors,” Moutis said. “I’m pretty simple when it comes to fashion, so the shoes did enough for me, whereas I thought pairing it off with a black and white combo outfit would fit perfectly.”

Moutis is also excited to use spring weather to bring out her vintage style.

“The warm weather makes me want to incorporate bright colors within my wardrobe. But one trend I am very anxious for would be wide leg flare jeans, which are a throwback from the ’70s.”

As far as a favorite designer collection in New York, London or Paris’s fashion weeks, she found one fashion house that impressed her most.

“Valentino’s Fall 2011 collection was amazing. I thought the color palettes used were gorgeous which included plum and tan. I also thought the fabrics of lace, sequins and fur were displayed beautifully on all the elegant models,” Moutis said.