Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

'Humans versus Zombie' game invades campus

The zombie apocalypse is coming to AU— but don’t worry, it’s for a good cause.

“Humans vs. Zombies” is a game where "zombies" attempt to take over the world by physically tagging "humans" to join their undead horde. The object of the game is to remain "human" for as long as possible.

Selected members will begin the game as "zombies," identifiable by bandanas on their heads. The "humans," identifiable by bandanas on their arms or legs, defend themselves against zombies using Nerf guns and balled-up socks to stun attackers for 15 minutes.

Once a "human" is tagged, they join the undead horde to hunt other "humans." If "zombies" do not "feed" (tag a human) at least once every 48 hours, they "starve" and must leave the game.

The game begins April 4 at midnight, and continues until either all zombies "starve"or all "humans" are killed, according to organizer Seth Yates, a freshman in the School of Communication. The last "human" alive wins a 19-inch flat screen TV.

All AU students are eligible to play and registration is free, but only participants who donate $5 at the beginning of the game are eligible to win the TV. In the event the "humans" win — meaning all the "zombies" starve — the TV will be raffled off, Yates said.

The zombie apocalypse will only occur on Main Campus and outside of buildings, including the Katzen Arts Center courtyard, Nebraska Parking Lot and the area surrounding Nebraska Hall. Tenley Campus, Washington College of Law, classrooms and any other indoor space are designated safe zones from the zombie-human conflict.

Yates and four other freshmen are organizing the game, which will be sponsored by Women’s Initiative. Victoria Bosselman, the deputy director of WI, saw the game as an opportunity for WI to include more men in its activities.

“One thing that we’ve always had kind of pushback on is that we don’t have a very good tie in with the male students,” Bosselman said. “We’ve been trying to reach out, and this is kind of our way of doing so, hopefully, and also raising money for an important organization at the same time.”

All proceeds raised will be donated to Women for Women International, a charity that provides female survivors of war with the tools and support to transition from poverty to self-sufficiency.

Yates said the Department of Public Safety has been informed of the impending doom.

Yates said they plan to organize the game at least once every semester until they graduate in 2014.

As of March 25, 130 players have signed up to play and raised $382 in real and pledged donations, he said.

Students can register to play by signing up when the group is tabling, by e-mailing americanhvz@gmail.com or by attending an information session on March 30 in Hurst 209 or April 1 in Ward 4 at 7 p.m. Registration ends April 3 at 12 p.m.

mzoglo@theeagleonline.com