Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

Police Blotter: March 22

?March 3

A student left a backpack containing a laptop unattended in the Terrace Dining Room and reported it at 6:51 p.m. It was gone when he returned. There was no personal information stored on the laptop. ? Five pairs of jazz shoes were discovered missing from a closet in the Katzen Arts Center costume closet. Although it was reported on March 3, it was expected to have occurred between Aug. 14, 2010 and Dec. 15, 2010. ??

March 4 ?Student #1 exited her room and saw student #3 place a fire extinguisher on the floor and enter her own room at 2 a.m. in Letts Hall. Student #3 advised the Department of Public Safety that a friend, student #4, entered her room with a fire extinguisher. Student #3 moved the extinguisher from her room to the hallway and told student #4 to leave. Public Safety contacted student #4 and noticed an odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath. When asked for a driver’s license, student #4 repeatedly attempted to hand Public Safety a bank card. Student #4 stated he had no knowledge of an incident with a fire extinguisher. Aramark responded to clean the area. The fire extinguisher was brought to Facilities Management for recharging. 

?While conducting a patrol of a building at 6 a.m., Public Safety discovered a concrete planter had been damaged at the northwest entrance of the Ward Circle Building??During an audit, $30 was discovered missing from the Admin Office Safe, reported at 12:24 p.m.??

Money was discovered missing from a purse, which was left unsecured in an office cubicle in the Academy of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law on Feb. 23, although it wasn’t reported until March 4. ?

?March 5 ?Public Safety responded to a fire alarm and discovered smoke in a Roper Hall kitchen area at 11:30 a.m. Reportedly, the source of the smoke was butter melting in a frying pan after a fan over the stove was not working properly. Facilities Management responded to the scene and a 2fix ticket was initiated.  No injuries were reported.  ? ?March 6 ?A laptop computer was taken from an unoccupied, unsecured room in Letts Hall at 12 p.m. An unidentified male was seen in the hallway during the time of the theft. ?

?March 7 ?Two contractors saw a suspect pretending to wash his hands with a hose in a closet in the Ward Circle Building around 12 a.m. When the suspect saw the contractors, he exited the closet and left the area.     A fire alarm activated as a result of bagels burning in a toaster in the kitchen of the Child Development Center at 10 a.m. Public Safety and Facilities Management responded. The building was evacuated. Windows were opened to ventilate the area. No damage or injuries were reported. ??

A flag pole was damaged by a crane in the Main Quad in front of Mary Graydon Center on March 5 at 7:38 a.m. ??Public Safety responded to a report of a sick person inside of the Sports Center at 1:47 p.m. The individual signed a medical refusal form. ?

?A tree fell onto a gate and damaged it on University Avenue at the Southeast Gate on Feb. 25 at 2:30 p.m., although it was not reported until March 7. ?

?March 8

?An employee reported having turned off lights and secured a suite door when leaving for the evening in the Center for Congressional and Presidential Studies’ offices in the Ward Circle Building. Upon her return the next morning, she discovered the door unsecured and the lights on. There were no signs of forced entry to the door. She discovered someone placed food inside a refrigerator. Nothing was reported taken from the area. ?

March 9 

The D.C. Fire Department transported a sick person to the hospital at 5 a.m. outside of the School of International Service Building. Public Safety and the Metropolitan Police Department were on the scene. 

Library staff reported one person borrowed 52 books that had not been returned. Reportedly, on Nov. 5, an individual signed up for the “Friends of American University Library’s Borrowing Program.” The individual provided an address, phone number and e-mail address and paid a $100 fee.  A form of government identification was displayed but not recorded. The individual borrowed 52 books the next day. The books were due to be returned in four weeks. The value of the books was estimated at approximately $5,500. ?

March 11?? An individual was found sleeping in the Gianni Lounge in the Mary Graydon Center at 12:49 a.m., stating he had no place to stay. Arrangements were made for him at a local shelter. He was issued a barring notice. A van service transported him to the shelter. ?

March 12? ?A resident director reported having recovered a glass smoking pipe from student #1 in his room in Congressional Hall at 1:06 a.m. An odor of marijuana was present in the room and the hall near the room. Student #1 stated he began smoking at 12:20 a.m. Another student and two individuals with no known AU affiliation were present in the room. The two individuals with no known AU affiliation were issued barring notices and escorted off campus. ?

?Public Safety responded to a report of an injured person in Letts Hall at 3:12 p.m. The individual signed a medical refusal form. ??DCFD transported a sick person at Public Safety at 10:43 p.m. to the hospital. ??

March 13?

?A student left her laptop computer unattended under a table on the second floor of Bender Library at 7:09 p.m. It was gone upon her return. 

Keys would not work in a door lock in Letts Hall and was reported at 2:27 p.m. A hard sticky substance (suspected super glue) was discovered in the core. A locksmith replaced the core. ??March 14??DCFD transported an injured person from MGC to the hospital at 8:34 a.m. ??

A laptop was last seen on a desk in a room in Anderson Hall on March 14 at 12:01 a.m. It was noticed missing at 9:30 a.m. The room was secured and occupied by the complainant and/or her roommate during most of this time period. There were brief periods of time when the room was unoccupied with the door left unsecured. No sensitive information was stored on the computer. ??

The letters were discovered missing from the “Market Place” sign on the Main Vestibule in MGC at 9:39 a.m. Facilities Management was notified. ?

?A coat was left in an unsecured locker in Butler Pavilion at 7:56 p.m. When the owner returned, the locker had been secured with a lock. The coat was discovered missing when the lock was removed and the locker opened by a staff member. ?

?A bicycle was taken from a bike rack at the Anderson Hall north bike rack and was reported at 11:35 p.m. The bike had been secured to the rack via a combination cable lock. ?? March 16? ?Steam from a pipe activated a fire alarm in Hughes Hall at 1:30 a.m. The building was evacuated. Facilities Management responded to the scene. At 2:15 a.m., entry was allowed into the building. 

?A chair was reported missing from Butler Pavilion/MGC area at 9:32 a.m. 

?A truck damaged a light pole while picking up and dropping dumpsters in Tenley Campus Parking Lot, which was reported at 8:32 a.m. ??

Two empty beer cans were found in a stairwell of the second floor back stairwell of Bender Library at 1:10 p.m. ??

Public Safety responded to a report of an injured person from Sports Center at 7:36 p.m. The individual signed a medical refusal form. 

??March 17 ?Public Safety saw an individual sitting in some bushes in the President’s Office Building Parking Lot at 12:28 a.m. Public Safety detected an odor of an alcoholic beverage. The individual’s speech was slurred and he staggered. He was bleeding from the lip and chin. He stated he drank rum and vodka by himself “in the bushes.” No alcohol was found on the scene. DCFD transported the individual to the hospital. ?

An elevator technician responded and released an individual from a stuck elevator in Hughes Hall at 1:06 p.m.  No injuries were reported. ??

A magnetic plate was removed from Wesley Gate and was reported at 4:12 p.m. ??

Public Safety responded to a report of a loud party at a residence on Upton St. at 11:17 a.m.  No noise was heard.  MPD was contacted but did not respond. 

A student left his room for less than one minute. Upon his return, he noticed his computer missing from his desk, and reported it at 11:27 p.m. The student’s Social Security Number was stored on the computer. ?