Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Nationals give up game to Padres, lose 2-1

The Nationals’ offense continued a season-long struggle May 28, losing to the San Diego Padres 2-1.

The first runs of the game came in the top of the second inning as Padres’ rookie center fielder Blake Tekotte hit a triple that knocked in third baseman Chase Headley. Tekotte recorded his first major league hit in his previous at-bat, doubling to right field. Catcher Kyle Phillips followed the triple with a single to knock in Tekotte and make it a 2-0 Padres lead.

The Nats were able to cut the lead in half when left fielder Laynce Nix hit a solo shot to the Nationals’ bullpen in right field in the bottom of the seventh inning off Padres’ starter Tim Stauffer. It was Nix’s seventh home run of the year.

Those were the entire runs scored, as two of the majors’ worst offenses statistically showed why with the two teams combined for 12 hits in Saturday afternoon’s contest.

“We just didn’t get it done offensively," Nationals’ manager Jim Riggleman said after the game. "There’s not an explanation for it. It just didn’t happen."

Solid pitching has kept the Nationals competitive in recent games as the team has given up three runs or less in five of the last 10 games. And yet, the team has gone 3-7.

The Nationals have lost one of their most reliable starters as lefty Tom Gorzelanny has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with inflammation on his throwing elbow. Gorzelanny has a 4.25 ERA in 2011.

This is not the first time that Gorzelanny has injured his elbow, though the last time he pitched through the injury and the effects took a long time to go away.

“I paid for it for a couple years,” Gorzalanny said. “I had to get all the way back to this point and it came about again. I’m a little bit smarter now, more of an adult now, and I’ll take care of it.”

While it is certainly always concerning when a pitcher feels elbow discomfort, Gorzelanny believes the injury is not too serious and only plans on missing two starts.

“It’s something just minor. It doesn’t bother me that much,” he said. “It’s only gonna be a couple of starts here and I should be ready to go.”

With the way that the Nats are performing at the plate, they will need great pitching performances from Gorzelanny and others to remain competitive.