Marquis struggles as Nats lose series to Pittsburgh

Nats’ starter Jason Marquis struggled early and often in the 2-10 loss against the Pirates, allowing four singles and committing a throwing error en route to a three-run first inning.

The Pirates picked up five more runs in the second inning, as Marquis was taken out and relieved by righty Collin Balester. Marquis pitched only one and one-third innings, allowing six earned runs on eight hits and no strikeouts.

“He’s pitched good all year long. It just didn’t look like he had much on it today, and sometimes that happens,” Nats’ manager Davey Johnson said.

Washington scored two runs in the bottom of the second, thanks to a two-run homer to the visiting dugout in left field by catcher Wilson Ramos, his seventh of the year. Those would be the only runs of the ballgame as the Nats would go on to lose handily by eight runs.

The Nats have really been struggling since Johnson took over as manager. Since Johnson began managing the team last Monday, the team has lost five out of seven games.

“I don’t like to get beat,” Johnson said. “That wasn’t fun today.”

In better news for the team, MLB announced on Sunday that reliever Tyler Clippard will represent the Nationals in the All-Star Game.

Clippard has made 37 appearances out of the pen for Washington in 2011. In those appearances he has a 1.96 ERA to go along with a league-leading 21 holds.

While Clippard is having a great season, there are some who believe the Nats should have had more players on the All-Star team.

First baseman Michael Morse is having a tremendous 2011. The Florida native has hit 15 home runs to go along with a .299 batting average and 46 RBIs while playing solid defense at first.

Rookie second baseman Danny Espinosa is also deserving of an invite to Arizona, the host of the 2011 All-Star Game. Espinosa also has 15 bombs to go along with 48 RBIs. And while his average is nothing to brag about, he makes up for it with great defense up the middle.

There were a handful of Nationals’ players to choose from, but Johnson believes the All-Star coaching staff got it right by selecting Clippard, calling it “a great opportunity.”