Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Nats walk-off again, this time on wild pitch

It was a crazy finish for the Nationals on Independence Day as they beat the Chicago Cubs 5-4 on a rare walk-off wild pitch that allowed right fielder Jayson Werth to score the winning run.

Unlike Sunday’s game against the Pirates, it was the Nationals who struck first, scoring a pair of runs in the bottom of the first inning off back-to-back singles by Laynce Nix and Werth.

But the Cubs got one back the next inning when, after a one-out triple by first baseman Carlos Pena, center fielder Marlon Byrd singled to make it a 2-1 game.

They then took the lead in the top of the fourth inning with men on first and third and two outs, Cubs’ left fielder Alfonso Soriano hit a routine fly ball to right center field that somehow dropped between center fielder Roger Bernadina and Weth in right, allowing both base runners to score. Not only did it cost the Nats two runs, it cost starting pitcher Jordan Zimmerman the chance to earn the win.

“Those things can’t happen on good ball clubs and I’m sure it won’t happen again,” Nationals’ Manager Davey Johnson said. “It was really tough on Zim. Zim still battled back, pitched a heck of a ballgame, but he should have won that ballgame.”

Chicago picked up another run in the top of the sixth when catcher Geovany Soto hit a single with the bases loaded and two outs, but the Nationals stopped the damage as Werth threw Pena out at home.

Werth continued his strong day in the bottom of the sixth, grounding out to first base to allow Nix to score following a triple in the previous at bat.

Nix had a big game as well, walking with the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh to tie the game.

The game remained tied until the tenth inning when Werth walked to lead off the inning. Johnson then decided to pinch hit with pitcher Livan Hernandez because of his ability to sacrifice bunt, which he did successfully. Werth then stole third base and came around to score on a wild pitch a few pitches later, and the Nationals were victorious.

While the win was encouraging, this is not the way that Johnson likes to score runs. He said he much prefers home runs to sacrifice bunts. But right now, he’s taking runs any way he can get them.

“It’s really not a good comfort zone for me quite yet,” Johnson said. “I think we’re a much better ball club than that, and I’m sure we’ll show it in the second half.”

blasky@theeagleonline.com