Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

D.C. hosts indie staples, buzz bands this September

D.C. may be known for its museums and monuments, but the city is also home to a vibrant and student-friendly live music scene. Unlike D.C.’s northern neighbors, Philadelphia and New York City, where shows are often 21 and up and closed to underage college students, D.C. shows are almost always all-ages or 18+.

D.C.’s main venues are also easily accessible by public transportation, and tickets for the smaller venues are inexpensive, averaging around $15 with minimal service fees.

This fall, the city’s stages feature a boon of concerts worth your time and money. Whether you’re a live music veteran or haven’t been to a concert since your N’Sync days, check out one of these promising September shows.

» Bright Eyes w/ First Aid Kit — 9:30 club, Sept. 4

Omaha’s original emo kid, Conor Oberst, reunites with Bright Eyes to tour in support of the band’s final album, “The People’s Key.” Bright Eyes’ last stint in D.C. will feature an eclectic set spanning the band’s whole career — and no, they won’t play “First Day Of My Life.” Expect the crowd to be an awkward mix of 30-something longtime fans and screaming teenagers waving “Marry Me Conor” signs. Get there early to see the openers, the folk sister-act First Aid Kit.

» The National w/ Yo La Tengo and Wye Oak – Merriweather, Sept. 6

Merriweather Post Pavillion is a hike down the Beltway from D.C., but the indie rock dream team of Wye Oak, Yo La Tengo and the National is unquestionably worth the trip.

The National have grown to be one of indie’s behemoths on the strength of their three outstanding albums, and are touring with venerated indie lifers Yo La Tengo and Baltimore duo Wye Oak. All three bands are known separately for their dynamic live shows, so don’t miss the best lineup of the fall show season.

» Reading Rainbow w/ Eternal Summers at Red Palace & Weekend at DC9, Sept. 7

Noise-pop fans have a difficult choice to make on Sept. 7 as two of the genre’s most intriguing up-and-coming acts play in D.C. on the same night. Weekend, representing San Francisco’s blossoming rock scene, play DC9 in support of their 2010 Slumberland debut “Sports.” Across town, Philadelphia husband/wife duo Reading Rainbow play the Red Palace, supported by Virginia’s much buzzed-about Eternal Summers. Both shows are shaping up to be exciting, but go to Weekend if you prefer your concerts aggressive and ear-splittingly loud and Reading Rainbow if you prefer pop over noise.

» Neon Indian – Rock & Roll Hotel, Sept. 16

Since Neon Indian’s debut album “Psychic Chasms” was released in 2009, chillwave has grown from a few synthy cassette releases into a recognized genre. Neon Indian’s Alan Palomo has had a busy few years, recording an album with the Flaming Lips and holing up in Helsinki to record his second album “Era Extraña.” Fellow chillwavers Toro Y Moi (who play the Black Cat on Sept. 11) and Memory Tapes have started to move away from the hazy aesthetic that defined the genre. “Era Extraña” has a darker, more shoegaze-y feel. But fans should still expect Neon Indian’s R&R Hotel set to be as blissed-out and drenched with synths as possible.

» Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – 9:30 club, Sept. 17

It’s far from unusual these days for a band to use the Internet as a starting point for their career. But six years ago, bands were still expected to snag a record deal in order to achieve any success. Brooklyn indie rockers Clap Your Hands Say Yeah did the unthinkable and self-released their 2005 debut album, building a popular following based on blog buzz. CYHSY’s sound doesn’t suggest that of a band that redrew the boundaries of pop music — they sound like a weirder Yo La Tengo with a lead singer that’s as David Byrne-sounding as they come. Unfortunately, CYHSY’s folkloric rise has overshadowed the band’s recent activity, but with their first new album in four years coming out in September, they seem poised to regain their status as critical darlings once again.

mmcdermott@theeagleonline.com