Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Dispelling “as seen on TV” myths about D.C.

Washington, D.C., has the unfortunate tendency to be misrepresented in primetime television. Popular shows like “Bones,” “The West Wing” and “NCIS” feature the nation’s capital frequently, but not as accurately as one would hope. The Scene tries to separate fact from fiction about the District.

» TV Myth: D.C. is all about politics (as seen on “The West Wing”).

Granted, “The West Wing” was a fairly accurate portrayal of our government at work, but that’s not what our city is all about. Because it is a political stronghold, D.C. has the reputation of being a temporary place of residence for many of its most popular, stiff-collared inhabitants. But the local community is vibrant, ever-growing and constantly overlooked in popular media. D.C. has a blossoming (and diverse) cultural community, and there are plenty of places to witness that. Check out Georgetown, where there’s an abundance of prep-school and Brat Pack-type kids. Or visit Adams Morgan for a taste of ethnic diversity (and delicious restaurants). You might even find a hipster or two.

» TV Myth: To show that a show is in D.C., all you need are sweeping helicopter shots of the Washington Monument and the National Mall (as seen on “NCIS”).

D.C. is not all about the monuments. Sure, it makes the city a beauty to behold, but there are plenty of other sights worth a visit. Like the Southeast Waterfront, where there are decks, fireworks during cherry blossom season and the occasional army band. Or visit the famous Ben’s Chili Bowl on U Street. Besides, there’s little chance you’ll get to see the Washington Monument from a helicopter, and even less chance you’ll get to visit the top at all — the monument is always teeming with tourists.

» TV Myth: The Smithsonian (upon which the fictional Jeffersonian is based) does not have a forensics team that solves crimes for a living (as seen on “Bones”).

Although they did recently open up a forensics lab in the Smithsonian’s Museum of Natural History, which is open to the public in the Written in Bone exhibition. So who knows where that will lead.

» TV Myth: Cabs are easy to find and super cheap, and you can just stand in the rain having a dramatic exchange with your partner while the taxi driver waits for you patiently (as seen on “Bones”).

If there’s one thing that’s awful about D.C., it is the traffic — and the general lack of taxis when you really need one. Driving in D.C. is a nightmare, especially downtown, where it’s crowded with pedestrians, tourists and stuffy businessmen. Your best bet is the Metro, but even public transportation can be unreliable and frustrating from time to time. So save that dramatic monologue in the rain for later.

hbui@theeagleonline.com