Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Fall films to deliver playful puppets, bold blockbusters

We know there are probably about 500 other lists out there telling you the movies you should see this fall. But most of these lists don’t take into account the varied tastes (and wallet sizes) of the average college student. The Scene has compiled a list of movies that are coming out this fall for students of all movie tastes to enjoy.

The Blockbuster: “Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows”

There’s not much to the fall blockbuster, and the same can probably be said of “Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows,” starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law. In this sequel, Sherlock Holmes faces off against his famous archenemy, Professor James Moriarty, in a battle of the wits. Judging from the trailer, the movie seems to be following the “rinse and repeat” formula of the first film, only with a different female sidekick; this time in the form of the talented Swedish actress Noomi Rapace (of “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” fame). However, Downey Jr. and Law look like they’ll be turning on their bromantic charm and playful bickering again, so the movie may not turn out half bad.

Release date: Dec. 16

The Way Too Intense to Watch Twice Movie: “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”

Speaking of “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” have you heard that they’re doing an American remake? Directed by David Fincher (“Fight Club,” “The Social Network”), and starring newcomer Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig, this film looks to be a darkly twisted update of the already disturbing Swedish film. The heroine, Lisbeth Salander (Mara), is an antisocial computer hacker who teams up with journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Craig) to solve the mystery of a missing girl. Fincher’s intense style is a perfect match for this film, which has been advertising itself as the “feel-bad movie of Christmas.”

Release date: Dec. 21

“500 Days of Summer,” The Sequel: “50/50”

OK, “50/50” is not really the sequel to the quirky-cute 2009 film “500 Days of Summer,” but it comes close to being its successor. With Joseph-Gordon Levitt as the lead and a delightfully indie soundtrack, “50/50” may at first appear to be too similar to “500 Days of Summer,” but it’s a great film in its own right. In “50/50,” 27-year-old Adam suddenly finds himself diagnosed with cancer and has to learn to deal with the breakdown of his relationships, his career and his own emotions. It’s not all depressing, though, because “50/50” is a surprisingly funny and heartfelt look at the other side of cancer, where you can laugh at yourself if only you had a friend like Seth Rogen.

Release date: Sept. 30

Your Childhood: “The Muppets”

Judging from the trailers released for “The Muppets,” this new film looks to be a clever, hilarious take on the beloved puppets from our childhood. Kermit and the gang return from retirement at the urging of zealous fan Gary (Jason Segel) and his girlfriend (Amy Adams). If you’re nursing your inner child or you still have that hole left in you by “Toy Story 3,” “The Muppets” is probably the best way to relive your childhood.

Release date: Nov. 23

The One with All the Actors You Love: “Contagion”

“Contagion” has the dream cast that every movie wishes it had: Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Gwyneth Paltrow, Marion Cotillard and Laurence Fishburne. But it also has a classic virus-wiping-out-all-of-humanity story, which should bring in cynics who think the cast would likely belong in a dull prestige film. The movie looks intensely entertaining, the actors are great and the story is tried-and-true.

Release date: Sept. 9

The Oscar Contender: “J. Edgar”

“J. Edgar” is a Clint Eastwood movie, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Armie Hammer. If that’s not enough reason to sway you, it’s an intriguing biopic on the polarizing figure of J. Edgar Hoover, the man who oversaw the creation of the FBI and its rise to power. However, once he also rose to power, Hoover soon became corrupt and paranoid. Leonardo DiCaprio promises to give yet another Oscar-worthy performance, and Clint Eastwood has become one of the most prestigious directors in Hollywood.

Release date: Nov. 9

hbui@theeagleonline.com