Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

Getting to know AU administration branches

For Eagles young and old, the branches of AU administration can be overwhelming. Here are a few campus offices and departments that everyone should know:

Department of Public Safety: seeks to “create and maintain a safe and secure environment by protecting lives, securing property and preserving peace and order,” Logistics and Compliance Coordinator Adam Cooper said in email. Public Safey handles everything from lost AU IDs to accompanying students walking on campus late at night. DPS spent much of last semester enforcing the new Student Conduct Code off campus. Cooper’s advice for all AU students: program Public Safety into your cell phone for emergencies (202-885-3636). Hours: Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Location: Behind Anderson and Letts Halls

Student Health Center: provides on-campus health services from immunizations to doctor appointments. The Health Center is helpful for minor health issues, but any major issues should be taken to Sibley Hospital on Massachusetts Avenue. Hours: Monday and Tuesday, 9 a.m. - 8 p.m. | Wednesday, 9:45 a.m. - 6 p.m. | Thursday and Friday, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. Location: McCabe Hall, behind Bender Library and the School of International Service

Office of Housing and Dining: offers on- and off-campus housing resources, oversees meal plans and EagleBucks and administers AU IDs. The office recently revamped meal plan options with the addition of Dining Dollars. Hours: Monday through Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Location: Anderson Hall first floor

AU Central: oversees the student services provided by the Offices of the Registrar, Financial Aid and Student Accounts. AU Central handles everything from transcripts to scholarships to tuition payments. AU Central recently launched myau.american.edu, a new version of the AU portal. Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. | Wednesday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Location: Asbury 201

Academic Support Center: provides academic assistance through individual appointments, workshops, tutor referrals and services for individuals with learning disabilities. Academic Support Center Director Kathy Schwartz advises students to keep their syllabi handy and check them frequently, manage their time, stay healthy and ask for help before a problem arises. Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Location: Mary Graydon Center 243

Career Center: provides students with peer and professional preparation for future jobs, work-studies and internships. Career advisers help craft general resumes or more job-specific cover letters and host events throughout the semester tailored to networking, job hunting and scholarship applications. Jessica Beasley, the Career Center’s customer service coordinator, advises students to “start thinking about [their] interests very early, prepare application materials early and come to our office.” Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Location: Butler Pavilion fifth floor