Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

Fall music festivals offer something for everyone

D.C. is no stranger to its fair share of festivals. The city is brimming with affordable (and sometimes free!) festivals, and the Scene is here to point you in their direction.

» D.C. Blues Festival — Sept. 3

For those who want to forego all of the great indie pop and rock venues in D.C., head down to the Carter Barron Amphitheatre for the 23rd Annual D.C. Blues Festival. Located a few blocks away from the Columbia Heights Metro station, this is an all-day, free outdoor festival celebrating the best blues artists of today. On the lineup are Preston Shannon and the Preston Band, Anthony “Swamp Dog” Clark and the D.C. Blues Society Band, among others. Head down early, grab a good seat and enjoy the lilting sounds of true blues.

» Virgin Mobile FreeFest — Sept. 10

As the name would suggest, this incredible outdoor festival is totally free! However, due to the outstanding lineup and small number of available tickets, this yearly festival usually “free’s” out pretty fast. Held at Merriweather Post Pavilion, this year’s headliners include the Black Keys, Cee Lo Green, Deadmau5, TV on the Radio and so many more. Though the free tickets are gone, anyone who’s interested can still purchase tickets. For about $50, fans will receive a fan e-pak, which includes a general admission ticket, T-shirt, poster and a souvenir cup. In addition, a portion of the proceeds will benefit charities devoted to homeless youth. Spending $50 never seemed so worth it.

» Adams Morgan Day — Sept. 11

Though this isn’t so much a music festival as it is a celebration of a select area of D.C., Adams Morgan Day is a great way to spend a lazy Sunday. Located, where else, in the heart of Adams Morgan, it’s an outdoor street festival with live music, international food and a never-ending row of street vendors selling everything from art to jewelry to clothes. The usually calm and laidback atmosphere of Adams Morgan is completely transformed into a frenzied block party. If you’ve never been to Adams Morgan before, go! There are simply no excuses when it’s just a short Metro ride away.

» HFStival — Sept. 17

Merriweather Post Pavilion really is the ideal place for a festival outside of the District. Originally hosted by Maryland’s now-defunct rock radio station, WHFS, the festival is a big rock concert through and through. Headlining the event are folk acts like the Avett Brothers and Flogging Molly, accompanied by more alternative rock suits like Minus the Bear, Clutch and so many more. Tickets range from about $50 for pavilion seats to $35 for those who prefer to lay out on the lawn. Head down to the show early if you want to rock out in the pit!

Ydesta@theeagleonline.com