Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

AU puts on 12th Annual Human Rights Film Fest

AU’s 12th Annual Human Rights Film Series, featuring a broad spectrum of documentary films on human rights issues, began Sept. 22 and continues through Oct. 20.

The Center for Social Media hosts the series in conjunction with the Center for Human Rights and Humanitarian Law at the Washington College of Law.

Held in Wechsler Theater in the Mary Graydon Center, the series hosts a broad spectrum of documentary films that are “well-made and cover current human rights issues,” said Angelica Das, the associate director at the Center for Social Media.

The films’ directors will answer questions following the screenings. The two organizations responsible for putting the series together have slightly different individual goals, yet the overall message is the same.

“The Center for Social Media’s goal is to showcase socially-engaged media, in this case documentaries made with great technique and aesthetic,” Das said.

On the other hand, the Center for Human Rights and Humanitarian Law focuses on the legal perspective of the films and how the topics discussed affect the world as a whole.

“These films provide the opportunity to examine human rights issues through film and experts,” said Hadar Harris, executive director of the Center for Human Rights and Humanitarian Law at WCL. “The goal is to raise issues of human rights in a public form and have people see various perspectives of these issues. The series is a great opportunity to think about, learn and explore topics not typically discussed.”

These topics include a film about doctor-assisted suicide titled “How to Die in Oregon,” premiering at the series Oct. 6. “The Redemption of General Butt Naked,” shown Oct. 13, is an eye-opening film that questions, “how we understand peace and reconciliation,” Das said.

Over the past 12 years, the series has seen a “tremendous growth in attendance,” according to Harris.