Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Detwiler can't stop the bleeding, Nats lose 7-3

The Washington Nationals have now lost nine out of their last 10 games; the latest loss coming at home Sept. 2 against the New York Mets.

It has been clear for a while now that the Nationals will miss the playoffs. With that being the case, the attention has now been turned to getting young players more experience. The team already had two rookies in their starting lineup for basically the entire season with second baseman Danny Espinosa and catcher Wilson Ramos. The team recently made that number three when they called up first baseman Chris Marrero and moved Michael Morse to left field.

This has been a young team all season, and, since he took over, Manager Davey Johnson sees progress in those less experienced players.

“I see improvement in their play, in their mental approach, and I’m pleased with all that,” Johnson said.

The game did not start off well for the Nats, as starter Ross Detwiler surrendered a three-run shot to left center from Mets’ third baseman David Wright, his 12th homer of the season.

“It was one of those games where he didn’t locate very good,” Johnson said. “It was one of those days where you just turn the page.”

The Nats did not go away easily though, scoring a run in the bottom of the first, followed by two more in the fifth off a Rick Ankiel two-run shot to left.

Mets’ right fielder Lucas Duda hit a homer to the second deck in right to put New York up 7-3 in the top of the seventh.

Washington got two hits in the ninth inning, but they could not score a run.

The Nats have two more games against the Mets to take the series. But the game that everyone is waiting for comes on Tuesday when Stephen Strasburg makes his season debut.

blasky@theeagleonline.com