Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024
The field hockey team snapped a four-game losing streak with a 2-1 win over Boston College on Sept. 25.

Field hockey knocks off No. 6 Boston College

The AU field hockey team captured a win against No. 6 Boston College Sept. 25 at Jacobs Field, defeating BC (7-3) 2-1 and ending its four-game losing streak in the process.

“I think the major difference today was we were relentless and we had to be,” Head Coach Steve Jennings said. “We fought together as a group, and we overcame a great Boston College team. It helped to score first to take some pressure off of us. It was a great job by our kids.”

The game began with a quick goal by AU’s Jenn Bradley in the second minute. Bradley was able to break away from her defender and slam a shot into the net for the game’s first goal.

Offensive control was back and forth between both teams for the next 10 minutes until AU (3-5) gained its first penalty corner. However, Gina Hofmann came up short with a shot that went wide, and a follow-up shot by Alex McMackin was blocked as well.

The first half ended with zero shots on goal for Boston College, while AU had one goal and two strong attempts.

Boston College jumped out first in the second half with a shot on goal and a penalty corner, but was unable to execute either opportunity.

Prior to the corner, Hofmann left the game with an injury to her hand. She would re-enter the game later in the half, playing an “outstanding role” in the game, according to Jennings.

The contest then turned into a game of penalty corners, with AU earning five straight. On the fifth corner, McMackin scored off a rebound to put AU up 2-0.

“I just kept believing we were going to finish it,” Jennings said. “I knew that we had a problem with the receiving of the ball and not getting off the perfect shot, but we just kept with it . . We were able to get a great second opportunity and Alex [McMackin] was able to finish it. That was obviously a huge lift for us.”

BC was then able to acquire four corners in a row, resulting in its first goal by Chapin Duke to cut the AU lead to 2-1.

After taking out the goalkeeper to give them an extra player, BC nearly tied the game but the shot went wide past AU goalie Ashley Dalisera, with Hofmann there to make the save for her teammate and give AU its first win since Sept 4.

The Eagles will open the second half of the season next weekend as they host Patriot League opponent Lehigh University Oct. 1 and Temple University Oct. 2 at Jacobs Field.