CLOSE CALLS - Once ranked as high as No. 8, Gina Hofmann and the AU field hockey team has lost each of the last three games by one goal. Elizabeth Vance scored Sunday in Louisville’s 1-0 win.

Nationally ranked field hockey team drops third-straight game

After being unable to capitalize on offensive opportunities for the third game in a row, the No. 17 AU field hockey team fell to the University of Louisville 1-0 Sept. 18 at Jacobs Field.

The Eagles (2-4) outnumbered the Cardinals (6-2) in penalty corners 6-3 and out shot them 14-7 but could not defeat their goalie, Erin Conrad, who had six saves on the game.

“Louisville’s a very good team and in close games, if you don’t finish your chances and they do, then you’re set,” Head Coach Steve Jennings said. “If we don’t score a goal, we can’t win. I don’t think our defense did a bad job at all.”

Louisville maintained offensive control for the first part of the first half, but were not able to get many shots on goal. And while AU’s defense was very stout, its counterattack was weak in that, once they got the ball, they could not get it down the field.

AU realized what needed to be improved early and in the 27th minute Jaclyn Anspach sent a shot that went high above the net. Over 10 minutes later, the Eagles got their first penalty corner opportunity, but shot wide and the women came up short on the return as well.

Louisville immediately got back in the game with two back-to-back attempts, but could not get past AU’s solid defense backed by goalkeeper Stephanie Burry. Almost three minutes later, the Eagles were yet again unable to capitalize on two penalty corners. Jenn Bradley attacked the net on the second chance, but Conrad skillfully blocked her shot.

When it seemed as though AU would head into halftime with a scoreless tie, Louisville’s Elizabeth Vance was able to penetrate the goal with two minutes remaining in the first half.

The Eagles started the second half ready to improve their counterattack, after not being able to finish goals in the first. However, they continued to poorly play their corners on their first three chances of the half.

On their final penalty corner, AU’s Shelly Montgomery put up a strong shot that was deflected wide. The game ended before AU could get in another attempt to force overtime.

The loss comes after AU fell from No. 8 to No. 17 in national rankings after two consecutive losses last weekend at the Terrapin Invitational.

“The main focus for us is trying to get more return from our offensive opportunities that we’ve created,” Jennings said. “Today we actually drew a number of great corners, had some great execution in terms of the actual setup of it, but the final part wasn’t there. So we’ll get back to work and try to fine-tune what we’ve done. The good news is if we continue to create chances I think we will put ourselves in situations where we will win the game.”

The Eagles will return to action on Friday, Sept. 23 at the University of Richmond, and are back home on Sunday, Sept. 25 to face Boston College.