Friday, Sept. 20, 2024
Winless Weekend - Michelle Montilio and the AU women’s soccer team couldn’t pick up a victory in two home matches and will conclude their season Oct. 29 at Colgate.

Women's soccer earns draw against Holy Cross, falls to Army on Senior Day

The AU women’s soccer team hosted two Patriot League matchups this weekend, tying the College of the Holy Cross 1-1 Oct. 21, followed by a 3-0 defeat against the Army Black Knights Oct. 23.

Crusaders, Eagles play to draw

Holy Cross (2-12-3, 0-5-1 PL) was able to take an early advantage when Gina Righini scored at the 34th minute. The Crusaders led 1-0 heading into halftime, but the Eagles (5-11-2, 1-4-1 PL) managed to tie up the game in the 61st minute when Jasmine Mohandesi found Michelle Montilio near the edge of the goal box.

Montilio drove her shot to the left past Holy Cross goalkeeper Carly McCabe for her second goal of the season to tie the game at one.

For the remainder of the second half and in both overtime sessions, the Eagles maintained control of the action, outshooting the Crusaders 20-5.

Holy Cross’ Gaby Ransom’s shot attempt led to an important stop by AU defender Kimberly Kroll, while Michaela Cowgill nearly scored the game winner in the 108th minute, but her shot sailed wide.

Army holds AU scoreless on Senior Day

The 3-0 loss against Army in the annual Phil Reeves match was a disappointment for the team as it had hoped to honor the seniors with a final win on Senior Day.

Army (10-3-4, 3-1-2 PL) took the lead early in the game when Ruthie Rosenberger scored two minutes into the game off an assist from Joey Molacek. AU goalkeeper Klare Lazor tried making a play, but the shot found the back of the net on a second effort from 15 yards away.

AU struggled to gain momentum in the second half, as Army’s Jaclyn Kalik assisted Kim An in her 71st minute goal, followed by Dee Clegg scoring again only 12 minutes later for the 3-0 Black Knights victory.

“This was a difficult match up for us because Army really is such a strong team with great attacking players,” AU Head Coach Dave Bucciero said. “Our one-to-one defending was not the best, which can be partially credited to Army. They haven’t given away too many goals this season and had plenty of shutouts.”

Montilio came close to scoring in the 90th minute when she ran up the right side past Army’s defense, but Kalik was able to make the defensive save and ensure the Army shutout.

“There was a lot of pressure, a lot of emotion and a lot of heart out there today,” Kroll said. “We all worked really hard, but they just capitalized [on] every given opportunity. All we can do now is go out to face Colgate and win for our pride.”

Arianna Efstathiou, Kroll, Allison Slattery, Jenna Stasiewicz and Mikaila Weaver were honored during a pregame ceremony for Senior Day. The group has contributed to 27 total wins and 12 Patriot League Academic Honor Roll selections throughout their athletic careers.

The Eagles will be looking to finish the season with a victory when they go on the road to face Colgate University Oct. 29.