Monday, Oct. 7, 2024

Women's soccer loses heartbreaker to Navy

The AU women’s soccer team lost in heartbreaking fashion Oct. 1, falling 3-2 in overtime to the Navy Midshipmen in its Patriot League opener. Both teams battled on a rain-soaked Reeves Field for a full 110 minutes of play.

Ashlynn Soellner’s rebound off a free kick by Kate Herren gave the Midshipmen (8-3-2, 1-0) the win with 40 seconds remaining in the second overtime.

“We played very well and went toe-to-toe with a very good team,” AU Head Coach Dave Bucciero said. “Navy’s had a lot of success this year for a reason; they’re a good team and they’re an athletic team.”

It seemed like the Eagles (4-8-1, 0-1) were going to pull out the win when junior forward Jasmine Mohandesi broke a 1-1 tie in the 87th minute with a sliding goal after a chaotic set of events.

Navy goalkeeper Alexes Lopez-Shaw came out to play a contested ball at the edge of the box, and a leaping header by Mohandesi ricocheted off the post. The ball rested untouched in front of the goal until Mohandesi hustled after her own header and slid, tapping the ball past the outstretched legs of a Navy defender for a 2-1 AU lead.

Moments later, Navy’s last-gasp efforts to equalize were rewarded when a bouncing cross to the left of the goal was volleyed by Morgan Dankanich past the outstretched arms of AU goalkeeper Arianna Efstathiou. Instead of finishing with a thrilling victory, the Eagles faced overtime.

“Navy’s a team that uses a lot of subs and they can wear you down,” Bucciero said. “I knew it was going to be a battle to the very end, and I knew they wouldn’t give up.”

With both teams fatigued, it appeared as if no one would net the golden goal in either of the two 10-minute overtime sessions.

As the second overtime ticked under a minute, Navy earned a free kick from 25 yards out. Efstathiou was heavily screened, and although she managed to deflect the free kick, the rebound was in perfect position for Soellner’s game winner.

The game had started off well for the Eagles, who scored 17 minutes in when Michelle Montilio made an unmarked run to the back post and sent a perfect cross from Michaela Cowgill past Lopez-Shaw.

This goal seemed to wake up the Midshipmen. They began a relentless attack on the AU defense that resulted in an early second half goal by Fallon Puppolo, who scored on a rebound off a Herren free kick that rocked the crossbar.

“We’re going to work on our set pieces, work on getting forward and make every last effort to play the full 90 minutes or 110 minutes,” Stasiewicz said. “Whatever it takes for a Patriot League win.”

The Eagles will head to Pa. with two opportunities to pick up their first conference win at Lehigh University Oct. 7 and at Lafayette College Oct. 9.