Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024
Charles Hinkle poured in 21 points to help the Eagles defeat Columbia. The senior forward is averaging 23.2 points per game, good for ninth in the nation.

Hinkle leads Eagles to 66-58 road victory

When the Eagles played Columbia University last season, the Lions hit a pair of free throws with 1.7 seconds remaining to hand AU its first loss of the season.

This time, AU came away with a win.

The Eagles (2-2, 0-0 PL) earned a 66-58 road victory over Columbia Nov. 19 behind a trio of double-digit scorers. Charles Hinkle led the way for AU with 21 points and seven rebounds, while Daniel Munoz chipped in 14 points and Troy Brewer recorded 13.

Brian Barbour led the way for the Lions (0-3, 0-0 Ivy) with 18 points, while Mark Cisco registered a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds.

After giving up the first basket of the game, the Eagles went on a 15-5 run capped by a Brewer three-point play following a fast break layup.

The Lions then quickly overcame the early 15-7 deficit to tie the game at 18 following Barbour’s jump shot with 4:54 left in the first half.

The teams traded scores for the remainder of the half, and with three seconds until halftime, the Eagles found themselves trailing by two.

Munoz drove to the basket and missed a layup, but Brewer was there to grab the rebound and nailed a short-range jumper to even the score at 26 at halftime.

Despite Columbia’s Blaise Staab hitting a 3-pointer to open the second half, the Eagles outscored the Lions early on and got out to a slim 37-35 lead five minutes into the final period.

Cisco was then key for the Lions offense, as Columbia’s center helped push the Lions out to a 52-48 lead with 6:17 remaining.

But the Eagles responded when they needed to most, going on a 13-1 run over the next 4:21 to take control of the contest.

Over that time, Hinkle scored seven points and Munoz added four as the Eagles pulled ahead for good on their way to the 66-58 triumph.

Hinkle, Blake Jolivette and Munoz combined to score the Eagles’ final 18 points en route to securing the team’s second win of the season.

Hinkle hit all three of his 3-point attempts on the night, and ranks ninth in the nation with 24 points per game.

The two teams were nearly identical from the field, with AU shooting 24-50 and Columbia going 23-48. The Eagles held an edge at the free throw line, as AU went 13-20 compared to Columbia’s 7-12.

AU also won the turnover battle, with the Eagles forcing 15 Columbia turnovers and AU only committing eight.

Five of the Eagles’ next six games will be at Bender Arena, starting with the team’s Nov. 22 contest against Quinnipiac University.