The AU men’s soccer team celebrates its 1-0 victory over the Lehigh Mountain Hawks. The first-place Eagles are now one step closer to winning the PL regular season crown.

Jack Scott’s last-minute goal propels men’s soccer past Lehigh

Amidst chaotic weather on a ruined, mud-filled Reeves Field, the AU men’s soccer team triumphed over Lehigh 1-0 Oct. 29.

Jack Scott was the hero, as his 90th minute goal inched the Eagles closer to a Patriot League regular season title.

“It was a brilliant feeling,” Scott said of the goal. “But it was a team effort, I don’t want to take all the credit.”

Both teams had a lot riding on the outcome coming into the match. Lehigh (7-3-5, 3-2-1 PL) rolled in on a three-game winning streak, sitting in a tie for second in the PL standings. Trailing the first-place Eagles (7-10-1, 5-1 PL) by two points, the Mountain Hawks would have vaulted into first place with a victory.

Meanwhile, an AU victory meant the Eagles would be in great position to clinch the No. 1 seed in the upcoming Patriot League Tournament.

From the beginning, it was apparent the game would be physical and hard fought, as well as heavily influenced by the state of the field.

“We’re a passing team,” AU Head Coach Todd West said. “Today, it was more about field position and getting their guys facing the goal.”

The field conditions caused both teams to slip and tumble while tempers flared throughout the hotly contested match.

In total, there were eight cards handed out on the afternoon, including two red cards. AU’s Conor Osborne and Lehigh’s James Meyerkord were both sent off in the 20th minute after the referee issued reds to both of them.

Both sides traded missed chances in the first half, with solid defense played by both teams. AU put together a solid chance in the final minutes before halftime, but Colin Seigfreid’s shot went high.

With the weather becoming increasingly worse, the second half was filled with more missed chances, back-and-forth attacking and cards. With 15 minutes remaining, the match was still scoreless and both teams were looking for the key breakthrough goal.

As the clock ticked under a minute and overtime seemed like a formality, AU’s Alassane Kane played in a beautiful ball to Jack Scott, who blasted in the close shot past Lehigh goalkeeper Ciaran Nugent.

The goal was Scott’s third of the season and gave Kane his third assist of the year. The helper has given Kane 15 points on the season, the third most in the conference.

The Eagles will finish their regular season at the College of the Holy Cross Nov. 5, where they will look to wrap up the PL regular season crown. AU can complete the feat with either a win or draw against the Crusaders, or if second-place Colgate University can’t register a win in its season finale against the Navy Midshipmen.

“We’re in the driver’s seat to host the league tournament and win the regular season,” West said. “Holy Cross is always tough though.”

chall@theeagleonline.com