Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

More alumni turn to AU Career Center

Alumni requests on a steady rise

Clarification appended

The Career Center has seen an increase in appointments from AU Class of 2010 alumni because of the economy and the slumping job market, according to Career Center Director Katherine Stahl.

Over 856 alumni used the Career Center during the 2010-2011 school year, up from 777 alumni during the 2009-2010 academic year and 624 alumni during the 2008-2009 year.

Of the 6,000 advising appointments held in 2010, 444 were with alumni who graduated more than a year earlier and 412 were with 2009 graduates.

Stahl said alumni appointments accounted for 14 percent of the individual appointments held at the Career Center last year. The alumni reported they were job seeking because their organizations were downsized or they were thinking about changing jobs.

Stahl said alumni are seeking help from the Career Center due to the current state of the economy.

Many American companies are not hiring additional employees because of the high costs of hiring new employees during an economic recession. Thus, greater competition for jobs has emerged in recent years, she said.

The Career Center and the Alumni Office have partnered to provide assistance for alumni a number of ways beyond advising including utilizing our job postings, and attending job fairs and employer panels.

“Our work for alumni can never hurt students because it doesn’t take anything away from the work we do for students,” Stahl said.

The Career Center’s nine full-time advisors take appointments with alumni less than a year out of school, as well as with undergraduate students. A part-time Career Center adviser financed by Alumni Relations works with older alumni.

Stahl said the Career Center encourages employers to consider both alumni and students for open positions when the employers ask for recommendations on who to hire.

Stahl said she believes students graduating this year will have to compete with alumni who have been out of school less than a year and are looking for a new job. Students graduating in May should “get started early” in seeking employment, Stahl said.

Statistics regarding the number of alumni who graduated more than a year earlier and visited the Career Center were unclear. They have since been clarified.