Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

Former Oklahoma Governor Frank Keating slams US policy toward Native Americans

Former Oklahoma Gov. Frank Keating spoke to AU students about what he sees as America’s poor record on Native American policy in Weschler Theater Nov. 29.

“The cruelty to Native Americans was boundless,” Keating said.

Oklahoma has the nation’s largest Native population, with 35 recognized tribes.

Keating, who served as governor from 1995 to 2003, spoke to adjunct School of Communication professor Richard Benedetto’s “Dissident Media” class.

Benedetto and Keating formed a relationship during Benedetto’s time as a reporter with USA Today. Benedetto covered Keating during his two terms as governor, during which Keating was a consideration for the 2000 vice presidential nomination.

Keating has visited Benedetto’s class every year since 2006.

“After I retired [in 2006] and started teaching, I just asked him to come in and he did,” Benedetto said.

Keating continues to visit campus each year because he feels that he and students mutually benefit from his lectures.

“It’s not only engaging and educational for me but it gives me an opportunity to listen and learn what’s on [the students’] minds,” he said.

Keating framed his lecture around his 2008 children’s book “The Trial of Standing Bear,” the story of one Native American’s battle with the American legal system. He focused on a moment in the story when Standing Bear boldly stood up for his people.

“I ask all of you in this auditorium: Will you have your ‘Standing Bear’ moment?” he said. “The answer is yes. How will you respond?”

Outside of politics, Keating has also worked in the life insurance industry and with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. He currently serves as CEO of the American Bankers Association.

He joked that working in life insurance put him alongside people who were generally happy with their jobs, while just the opposite happens in his current position in the banking industry.

James Connors, a sophomore in SOC, said he felt the lecture was worthwhile.

“Listening to the [former] Governor speak was a privilege,” he said. “Hearing him talk about his experience made for an interesting class.”

Although Keating’s political career is behind him, the former governor has another big moment ahead of him: He is releasing a new children’s book on George Washington Jan. 3.