Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Secondhand Style: Thrift store shopping tips

Unfortunately, the combination of multiple tests, assignments and presentations plus being at home for Thanksgiving Break prevented me from exploring any type of secondhand store here in the DMV.

Yet, while at home, I trekked over to my old standby thrift store and found quite a few great sweaters at unbeatable prices. I began to think: Is there a secret strategy to finding great treasures while out at a thrift store? Well, no, I suppose it’s not really a secret.

There are a few factors, and I am here to share them with you so that you may hit the jackpot too next time you’re out at your favorite secondhand store.

1) Don’t shy away from basics

This may sound obvious, but it seems that every time I take new people to a thrift store with me, they gravitate towards the unique and silly items, something they might not ever wear. It’s not awful to buy a quirky piece every once and a while, but one of the best things to look for at a secondhand shop is basic shirts, sweaters or even jeans that are in good condition. At least for me, it never made sense to spend good money on simple, solid-colored T-shirts; almost all of the ones I own have come from a thrift store, and they are decent brands such as Gap and J. Crew. You can find normal clothes at these stores if you have the right eye for them!

2) Always Think about Need vs. Want

Similar to the point mentioned above, people are drawn to the more eye-catching pieces, such as bejeweled sweaters or a plaid skirt. However, it is always important in any type of shopping excursion to think about need versus want. Even if you are at a secondhand shop and the clothing is likely cheaper than its original retail price, money is money — especially as a college student. Think about if you like the actual item and will wear it, or if you simply like the idea of having it hang in your closet and using it as a conversation starter. Recognizing the difference will make your shopping trip more efficient and will leave you with more room in your drawers.

3) Shoes are DEFINITELY Not Off-Limits

One of the most common comments I have received from skeptical friends is, “Ew, you actually wear shoes from a thrift store? Isn’t that gross?” My only response to this is, while they might not be brand-new, there are ways to clean these shoes if you truly like them; and besides, you might miss something great if you don’t look! I have found brand-new Sperry Topsiders, along with some of the most unique (probably one-of-a-kind) pairs of Chuck Taylor high-tops I have ever seen at my favorite thrift shop. The bottom line is, don’t be afraid to check out or even purchase an item at a secondhand shop if you really like it.