Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

TV Pick: Chuck

“Chuck” was the little show that could.

Never fantastic in the ratings, the NBC spy comedy almost didn’t make it back for a third season. Or a fourth. Or a fifth.

But thanks to the truly loyal fans who petitioned and started a campaign with Subway, “Chuck” made it to the finale it deserved Jan. 27, bringing the show to a close after five quality seasons.

Despite NBC’s hesitations, “Chuck” has made a lasting impression on its fanbase.

The story of “Chuck” is a simple one. Title character Chuck Bartowski is a 20-something geek working for the local Buy More (an electronics store akin to Best Buy) who inadvertently downloads critical government secrets into his brain. Two CIA and NSA agents protect him, and they save the day.

For five seasons Chuck defeated enemies using his computer-brain and nerdy hacking skills.

He fell in love with CIA agent Sarah Walker, one of his spy handlers. His loyal partner in espionage became his best friend. Chuck went from being a zero to being a hero.

And in the end the show’s finale harkened back to the pilot, and, for one last time, “Chuck” was able to prove why it was so great.

Chuck had to save the day one final time. Well, one final time on screen. The finale ended with the hope of more adventures with the promise of good things to come for the Bartowski family.