Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

Zoning Commission delays decision on Campus Plan

Correction appended

The D.C. Zoning Commission postponed the vote on AU’s Campus Plan to Feb. 16.

The commission originally suggested postponing the vote to the end of February. But AU’s legal counsel Paul Tummonds said the University aims to begin construction on North Hall in mid-February and a later vote may jeopardize the completion of North Hall by fall 2013.

AU also aims to begin construction on the Nebraska Hall extension and moving the School of Communication to McKinley building this spring.

The commissioners said they needed more information about North Hall, East Campus and additions to Mary Graydon Center and Nebraska Hall before making a decision.

“I think, when we ultimately decide on this campus plan, we’re going to have to weigh on all these further processings,” Commission Vice Chair Konrad Schlater said, referring to when a party to the case submits additional information.

The commissioners instructed AU to submit the requested information by Jan. 31. Any opposing parties may file a response until Feb. 7.

"The Zoning Commission reviewed a lot of information, from a process that has spanned more than two and one-half years and required 11 hearings,” AU Chief of Staff David Taylor said in an email after the hearing. “It's a large plan, and, because of this, the commission needed to invest the appropriate time and attention. We appreciate the work of the commission to get through it.”

The commission agreed upon many aspects of the Plan, including the 590 proposed East Campus beds.

“It will not be creating objectionable issues and is in character with the surrounding neighborhoods,” Schlater said. “Plus, it’s better than a vacant lot.”

Commissioners Peter May and Mike Turnball voiced concern about the East Campus buildings’ design and operable windows.

Neighbors previously suggested that East Campus dorm windows be unopenable.

“I think operable windows are part of good buildings,” May said. “I don’t want to have a crippled building because its windows don’t open.”

The entire commission seemed to agree on relocating the Washington College of Law to Tenleytown.

“Any place near a Metro makes sense,” May said. “And I wish other universities, that I won’t name, were as smart.”

While the commissioners supported the University’s regulation of off-campus behavior, they advised AU to look at how other universities deal with similar issues.

“There’s only so much control a university can have over [off-campus] houses,” Schlater said. “Students have a right to live off campus, and they have a right to act stupidly.”

They also expressed unanimous support for increasing the existing cap on AU faculty and staff from 2,200 to 2,900.

“I don’t think the key issues is the number of staff on campus, but how they’re getting there,” May said.

Other than Tenley Neighbors Association’s complaint of illegal parking in surrounding neighborhoods, the commissioners said they did not see any issues with off-campus parking.

“The University has a right to coexist in the community,” Chair Anthony Hood said. “It’s hard trying to find that balance.”

pjones@theeaglonline.com

A previous version of this story incorrectly identified Chair Anthony Hood as Anthony Hall.