Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Audiophile 2.7.12

Of Montreal

Paralytic Stalks

While Of Montreal has always been a band that focused on the inner torment of frontman Kevin Barnes, “Paralytic Stalks” takes the group’s music to new levels of darkness. On the surface, however, these songs are bursting with color, as strings, flutes, operatic vocals and swirling electronics provide wonderful accents to the arrangements. This is best captured in the excellent “Dour Percentage,” which blends its whimsical woodwinds with lyrics such as, “This planet is an orphanage, and it cheapens the way you and I torture each other.”

The album gets even wilder in the back half, as “Exorcism Breeding Knife” earns the dubious honor of being this album’s “Revolution 9,” while the 13 minute-long closer “Authentic Pyrrhic Remission” begins with an up-tempo groove before shifting into a long sequence of string drones. It might not be the best introduction to the band, but “Paralytic Stalks” should satisfy most fans and even a few new listeners.

Stream the album here

Recommended If You Like: The Flaming Lips, David Bowie

By Cameron Meindl

Wild Nothing

Nowhere 7

Jack Tatum returns with his first official release since 2010’s hazy debut “Gemini.” The two-song 7”, Tatum’s first release to be recorded in a studio, features a predictably healthy dose of Wild Nothing’s trademark nostalgic, reverb-drenched yearning but with a slightly more polished, mature sheen.

The single “Nowhere” distances itself from the shimmering ’80s retro synth-pop of “Gemini” for a more straightforward indie-rock setup, complete with a melodica solo and heavily-twanged guitar lick sliding over the top. And, although the band’s songs still draw inspiration from 1980s UK indie acts and Slumberland twee, Tatum’s songwriting proves itself once again as a cut above many quite good Captured Tracks releases.

RIYL: Beach Fossils, The Cure, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart

By Maxwell Tani

Lana Del Ray

Born to Die

After months of thinkpieces, blog posts and debates, Lana Del Rey’s major label debut is finally here. Whether you were introduced to her via her much-discussed “SNL” appearance or have been following this saga since the beginning, you’ve probably already formulated an opinion on Lana Del Rey. This album is unlikely to change how you feel, as the new material here rarely deviates from the style captured on singles “Video Games” and “Born To Die.”

This strict adherence to aesthetics proves to be the album’s biggest downfall; with track after track highlighting grandiose strings and Del Rey’s distinctive vocal stylings, the formula wears thin by the album’s conclusion. Still, there is some solid material scattered throughout: “Blue Jeans” and the questionably titled “Diet Mountain Dew” are nice twists on modern pop music, and “Video Games” is as good of a representation of what Del Rey is trying to accomplish here.

RIYL: Fiona Apple, (Gangsta) Nancy Sinatra, Hipster Runoff

By Cameron Meindl

Chairlift

Something

Chairlift’s “Something” is an unapologetic pop-electronic album with its share of excellent moments. Those few tracks shine with unrestrained beats and an energetic vocal quality that seems to fade in the remainder of the tracks. The opener, “Sidewalk Safari,” is especially memorable and could even be considered haunting in its melodic intent.

As an album, “Something” is lacking something: energy. The standout tracks are undeniably worth a listen and provide some excellent material for those of us who love an innocent female vocal over danceable beats.

RIYL: Class Actress, Imogen Heap, Twin Sister

By Spencer Swan