Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Bone Thugs reunite for late Sunday show at 9:30 Club

The old-school rap circuit is, for the most part, a very sad place. With acts like Digital Underground and Cyprus Hill breathing a dying breath into has-been hits (“Humpty Dance” and “Insane in the Brain,” respectively), it’s sometimes easy to write off old-school acts entirely. But then there’s Bone Thugs-n-Harmony.

Unlike the many one-hit club-bangers of the past, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony offers timeless, serious hits with socially conscious lyrics as relevant today as they were when they recorded them, and none of the nostalgia and cheesiness that ruins most old-school shows.

In a rare reunion, Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, including departed members Krayzie Bone and Wish Bone, will play a late show (read: after the Superbowl) on Sunday at 9:30 Club. The only way that this concert could be more complete is if they brought in Phil Collins to sing his hook in “Home,” or somehow revived Biggie, 2Pac, Eazy-E, or Big Pun (BTnH are the only group to have collaborated with all four).

BTnH will undoubtably play their old hits, but don’t expect this to be a nostaligia-filled “greatest hits” show. With several members talking about solo and group projects this year, the Thugs are still producing new content and keeping their lyrics and unmistakeable flow fresh, which is the recipe for the elusive great old-school show.