Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Preview: Mos Def at 9:30 Club

Though known to many for his acting chops in movies such as The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, and Be Kind Rewind, the true talent of Mos Def lies within hip-hop. Though he gained notoriety in the 90's for his features with underground hip-hop legends De La Soul and a collaborative album with Talib Kweli, he has since garnered both a massive following and critical respect for his solo work. The most recent of his four albums, The Ecstatic, featured some of the most diverse samples available in modern hip-hop, ranging from latin music to jazz and funk. For his efforts, he was nominated for two Grammy's, bringing his nomination total to five thus far.

Recently, Mos Def has retired his stage name, and now insists on being known as Yasiin Bey. He is also scheduled to appear on Kanye West's collaborative G.O.O.D. Music: The Album alongside Frank Ocean, Pusha-T, and Jay Electronica, among others. Also of interest are his plans to release yet another Black Star album with Talib Kweli later this year.

On February 20 Bey will be bringing his talents to DC's own 9:30 Club, in what promises to be one of the strongest live hip-hop shows this year. Bey is sure to deliver a performance that will please both die-hard underground hip-hop aficionados, as well as those with just a passing interest.