Monday, Oct. 7, 2024

Previewing the Patriot League tournaments

Men’s Tournament

Last Season

Bucknell University cruised to the Patriot League title, defeating Lafayette College 72-57 in the championship game.

The Eagles missed a shot at reaching the championship when the sixth-seeded Leopards upset No. 2 AU in the semifinals 73-71 in double overtime.

AU Outlook

A strong regular season makes the third-seeded Eagles contenders to punch a ticket to the Big Dance.

AU’s postseason success will hinge on the performances of point guard Daniel Munoz (7.9 points per game, 4.2 assists per game) and senior forward Charles Hinkle (18.8 points per game, 5.4 rebounds per game). Munoz’s strong play of late has helped AU win six of its past eight contests.

Hinkle is among the conference leaders in points (second), minutes (first) and rebounds (seventh). He should continue to put up huge numbers in his final games in an AU uniform.

The Eagles will start their tournament run when the sixth-slotted Army Black Knights visit Bender Arena Feb. 29.

Players to Watch

Bucknell’s star center Mike Muscala averaged nearly a double-double this year, finishing the regular season with 16.7 points per game and 9.1 rebounds per game while leading the league in total blocks. Muscala’s 6-foot-11, 234-pound frame makes the 2010-11 conference player of the year almost impossible to defend.

C.J. McCollum has carried second-seeded Lehigh University all season long. The Patriot League Player of the Year leads the league in points per game (21.7) and steals per game (2.5), while also finishing third in rebounds per game (6.6).

He’s a scoring threat from anywhere on the floor, and his presence makes the Mountain Hawks a big threat in the league tournament.

Prediction

AU avenges two regular season losses to Bucknell, upsetting the Bison in overtime in the championship game as Eagle players and fans dance their way to March Madness for the first time since 2008-09. Watch out, Duke.

Women’s Tournament

Last Season

After knocking out No. 2 Lehigh in overtime, the No. 3 Eagles lost in heartbreaking fashion to the top-seeded Navy Midshipmen in the championship game.

Players to Watch

Guard Anna Simmers led Army to a fourth-place finish in the Patriot League. She led the league with 14.9 points per game to go along with 5.1 rebounds per game.

As one of the stars of the Patriot League, her performances will go a long way in determining Army’s success in the postseason.

No. 2 Lehigh is led by Alexa Williams, who averages 12.5 points and a league-high 8.9 rebounds. Her tenacious ability down low will pose a threat to any league opponent throughout the tournament.

AU Outlook

The Eagles are the team to beat, claiming the No. 1 seed after finishing a perfect 14-0 in league play. They are the first team in league history to go undefeated against Patriot League opponents in a 14-game schedule.

AU Head Coach Matt Corkery has the Eagles playing disciplined, team basketball, making a trip to the NCAA Tournament well within reach.

Star guard Lisa Strack recently scored the 1,000th point of her career, and hopes to lead AU to the tournament title in her final season. Alexis Dobbs will also play a large role for the Eagles, as the guard has produced a strong sophomore campaign.

AU will first have to get by No. 8 Lafayette College in the tournament quarterfinals March 1 at Bender Arena.

Prediction

Lehigh will pose a challenge to AU in the championship game, but the Eagles have too much momentum to be stopped. A dominant performance by Strack will help AU extend their winning streak to 17 games, clinching the Eagles a berth in the NCAA Tournament.