Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Redskins making right moves this offseason

Between the trade for the No. 2 overall pick in the 2012 draft and the signings that Washington has made this offseason, Mike Shanahan has turned over a new leaf in the Redskins organization.

At first glance, what Washington has done looks like the Redskins of old: trying to be the champions of the offseason.

They’ve already signed wide receivers Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan, safeties Cedric Griffin and Brandon Meriweather and traded away four draft picks for one in return.

But if you look closer, the ‘Skins are putting the pieces together in an effort to begin building a consistent playoff squad. All of Washington’s acquisitions have been young guys who fit into the Redskins’ system. What Washington has done so far at the wide receiver position is a great example.

Garcon is a speedy, potential No. 1 receiver who fits perfectly in the West Coast offense and will accumulate a lot of yards after the catch. Between Morgan’s ability to run after the catch and separate from defenders, he fits as well.

Neither player is older than 26, giving them the opportunity to be long-term starters and develop along with Robert Griffin III, the Redskins’ likely first-round selection in April’s draft.

The five-pick swap between the Redskins and Rams has brought a lot of criticism Washington’s way, with critics wondering why you’d give up three first round picks and a second rounder for the right to likely draft Griffin.

The answer is simple: the NFL is a quarterback-driven league. You have to have a very good quarterback to compete for a championship, end of story. Look at the last five quarterbacks to win a Super Bowl: Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Ben Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning.

If the Redskins didn’t make the trade with St. Louis, they’d have the exact same problems they’ve had since Daniel Snyder bought the team. The 2012 season would be a bust with Rex Grossman the likely starter. What Washington fans would have then needed to hope for was the team to be bad enough that they could draft a good quarterback in the 2013 draft.

But it’s not just that they need a quarterback, it’s also about who they traded for. ESPN’s Todd McShay has described RG III as a quarterback with quick and impressive footwork, along with good mechanics. Other scouts rave about his great character and work ethic.

Simply put, the guy can play the quarterback position at a high level, and he’s only going to get better. Griffin’s the type of person you want to be the face of your franchise, and he’ll do a great job of representing the team both on and off the field.

However, the Redskins need to keep making deals to maximize Griffin’s potential. They’ve already made additions at receiver, but they need more depth on the offensive line so it can’t be decimated by injuries as easily as it was last year.

The bottom line is ‘Skins fans should be happy with the moves made so far, while realizing the team still has work to do before becoming a playoff contender year after year. Now, bringing back London Fletcher is the next priority.