Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Show preview: Band of Skulls at 9:30 Club

Band of Skulls are not half as intimidating as their name would suggest. And yet, the rock trio delivers tried and true rock’n’roll that unfurls with each deliberately lush guitar stroke.

The band, composed of Russell Marsden (guitar, vocals), Emma Richardson (bass, vocals) and Matt Hayward (drums), formed in the mid-2000s. The English natives released their debut album, the sugary-sweet “Baby Darling Doll Face Honey” in 2008. It didn’t exactly break them in the American market, but they slowly crept their way into the mainstream, with their songs being featured on multiple commercials, the TV shows “True Blood” and “Friday Night Lights” and the soundtrack for “The Twilight Saga: New Moon.”

Their sophomore effort, “Sweet Sour,” has received a lot more buzz, thanks to legwork they put in the first time around.

Band of Skulls are amply upbeat indie rock, with heavy blues and psychedelic influences. Marsden and Richardson split vocal duties, to great effect; Richardson’s voice has a bluesy Dan Auerbach feel to it, while Marsden has a deep, buttery voice that more than holds its own.

Their musical formula is reliably great rock’n’roll. Crushing drum beats, guttural guitar solos and an upbeat spirit that gets delivered like a refreshing kick in the face.

The trio will perform at the 9:30 club on March 24.