Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Students launch social networking events site

A new site aimed specifically at college students in the D.C. area will help AU students find interesting events within a few miles of campus.

Georgetown senior Ashid Ajami and his cousin Oliver Muller co-founded Campus Society to help students find social events, roommates, books and more within a certain radius of their locations.

“We just want to make college life easy,” said Sophia Chumburidze, head of marketing at Campus Society. “You could go to Craigslist, Twitter, all these other outlets, but Campus Society brings everything to one place.”

Instead of having individual user profile pages, Campus Society’s profile pages are university pages, so students can view events at specific schools. Each university page has a news feed that shows past, current and upcoming events. Students are not limited only to viewing their own school page.

When students log in to the site, they are redirected to their university’s page. From there, they can view the latest news feed and other posts from students at their school.

The social network is limited to those with university-affiliated email addresses.

“Having ‘.edu’ exclusivity regulates the site from spam and makes it safer,” Chumburidze said.

Although users won’t have personal profiles, they can go on other university pages and connect with students from other schools there.

“Campus Society will really help the students of the schools of the DMV [DC-Maryland-VA] connect for different on- and off-campus events,” Kogod School of Business junior Edwin Ampiah-Addison said.

Campus Society currently employs 10 interns in the D.C. area, but no AU students.

The network plans to visit university campuses in the area, including AU, to promote the site and teach students how to use it.

Campus Society decided to test the site in D.C. due to the large population of college students and the political culture, Chumburidze said.

“We chose to focus on D.C. before going national because we feel that D.C. is the perfect place of both college and city life,” she said.

Although Campus Society is focused on D.C., the network’s development and activities are worldwide with its base in New York City. Ajami works from London while Mueller helps from Dubai, which allowed the company to receive $1 million from investors in both places.

“I think Campus Society will be a good tool to connect people within the same school to know all the different events going on,” said School of International Service freshman Charles Chen.