Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

TV Pick: Regular Show

Weird, quixotic and subversive are only a few of the words that could be used to describe the provocative program “Regular Show.”

Far from the usual adventures common to the animated worlds of Cartoon Network, this show chronicles the lives of a virtuous blue jay named Mordecai and the mischievous Rigby the raccoon, 23-year-old best friends who work at the local park as groundskeepers in constant pursuit of inspired ways shoot the breeze.

From the mind of J.G. Quintel (“Camp Lazlo,” “The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack”), the show switches gears from quirky rom-com to supernatural action.

Mordecai and Rigby fend off personified summer pop songs and rappers with magical beats, in the form of Tyler, the Creator and Donald Glover (“Community”), and fight for the love of Margaret, a robin who works at the local coffee shop.

Featuring a peculiar yet lovable cast of characters, including Skips the Yeti (voiced by Mark Hamill); Pops Maellard, a balloon headed man who often offers avuncular advice to the heroes; and Benson, a high-strung gum ball machine who manages the park.

With an ’80s soundtrack that underscores the characters’ surreal exploits, the show delivers laughs with quality writing and vivid animation. Fans of “Parks and Recreation” will find plenty to love here.

This season, its third, features more offbeat adventures, like possessed computer glitches and embarrassing accidental phone messages. Robert Englund (“Nightmare on Elm Street”), Carl Weathers (“Rocky”) and voice acting royalty Steve Blum (“Cowboy Bebop”) also guest star.

Tune in to Cartoon Network Monday nights at 8 p.m. for more “Regular Show.” It’s anything but.