Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

AU Beekeeping Society provides honey for White House ale

Honey from AU’s Beekeeping Society was used to replicate the White House’s honey ale recipe on Sept. 15.

Several local breweries cooperated in a friendly competition to brew the drink using the AU apiary’s honey at an outdoor event on H Street last week, according to the DCist.

The Honey Brown Ale was the first alcoholic beverage to be brewed or distilled on the White House grounds last year, according to the White House blog.

The D.C. Home Brewers Association petitioned the White House to release the ale recipe starting in mid-August. Once obtained on Sept. 1, the association asked AU’s Beekeeping Society to provide honey for the drink.

School of International Service Professor Eve Bratman, who heads the Beekeeping Society on campus, said the D.C. Brewers Association asked for AU’s honey because of her connections and experience in the field.

The Beekeeping Society collected 15 pounds of honey during its first harvest of the year on Sept. 12, according to Bratman.

“It’s a relatively small amount of honey that we took from various hives because we want to make sure they get through the winter with plenty of honey stores,” she said. “We are hoping to have a much bigger harvest next spring.”

Bratman said she installed the apiary’s five hives: one on the roof of the SIS and four on Mary Graydon Center’s roof. 

The first of the hives, called “Beeyonce,” was installed on top of the School of International Service building in April 2011, according to Bratman. The other four, including “Lord of the Stings” and the “Bzzzantine Empire,” were installed in MGC’s greenhouse in April.

Bratman said the AU Beekeeping Society has been successful and rapidly growing with more than 20 active beekeepers.

“The bees have just become this wonderful group effort,” she said.