Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

College Democrats hold Women's Week to kick off series of policy weeks

AU College Democrats hosted political speakers and discussed a variety of topics during their Women’s Week from Sept. 10 to 14.

The week focused on political policies that will affect women in the upcoming presidential election with daily events.

“Women’s issues play such a huge role in this election because much is at stake for women in this election,” said Dems President Kathryn Tinker, a junior in the School of International Service. “It’s no longer about choice: it’s about birth control, it’s about equal pay. It’s really like we’re headed back to the 1950s.”

Women’s Week was the first installment of the many policy weeks College Dems will be hosting this semester leading up to the presidential election, according to Tinker. Other topics for future policy weeks will include the economy, the national budget, healthcare and education.

“You can have a good discourse on policy that’s across party lines,” Tinker said.

Highlights of Women’s Week included two Democratic National Convention speakers: Sister Simone Campbell, the executive director of the Catholic social justice lobby NETWORK and Nancy Keenan, the president of NARAL Pro-Choice America.

Tinker said College Dems will continue to speak about political issues after the election.

“College is about expanding your viewpoints… [We] have a role in promoting that political engagement on campus,” Tinker said. “Just because the election is over doesn’t mean the fight is over.”