Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Aretha Franklin, Dan Deacon to tour D.C.

Aretha Franklin — Sat. @ Dar Constitution Hall | 7:30 p.m. | $59.95-$115

Attention, soul music junkies: your queen, Aretha Franklin, is coming to D.C. Despite concert cancellations in New York and New Jersey, Franklin is set to perform at the Daughters of the American Revolution Constitution Hall.

The iconic Lady of Soul’s music is epitomized by her gospel-charged sound. She earned her royal title with a flurry of late ‘60s hits, like “Chain of Fools,” “I Say a Little Prayer” and of course, “Respect.” She continues to make albums today under her self-titled record label, Aretha’s Records. Her title as Queen of Soul still remains uncontested.

The ticket price range can seem daunting, but it will be a price well paid to see this music legend live and in all her glory.

Dan Deacon — Sat. @ 9:30 CLUB | 8 p.m. | $15

Known for his euphoric synth electronica, Baltimore-based Dan Deacon will perform at the 9:30 club this Saturday. The bearded electronic music composer will feature songs from his album released last month, “America.”

Having participated in the “Occupy” movement, Deacon’s boldly titled album has undeniable political undertones. But despite the governmental titles, his songs don’t go down the route of explicit investment-bank-cursing and Republican-bashing rhetoric. His music is marked by manipulated instrumentals and furtive atmospherics that bring a cinematic mood to his concerts. Audience members can expect an ear-ringing night of electro-pop from Deacon.

Performing with Dan Deacon will be rap group Heights With Friends, electro-pop producer Chester Endersby Gwazda and visual artist Alan Resnick.

Jazz Jam Sessions — Tuesdays @ Takoma Station Tavern | 7 p.m.-10 p.m. | FREE

For weeknight jazz that is fun, friendly and conveniently located on the red line, look no further than Takoma Station Tavern. Every Tuesday, this historic venue hosts lively open jazz jam sessions.

Takoma Station Tavern has hosted Jazz Jam Sessions since October 2010. The lineup constantly changes with different musicians, but is always led by bass player Raymond Magic. Notable Latin jazz, international jazz and progressive jazz musicians all perform at the venue, and audience members are more than welcome to bring their voices and instruments to play along with them.

But the tavern does demand classy attire for their jazz nights. Sneakers and athletic wear are strictly prohibited.

thescene@theeeaglonline.com