Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024

Crime Alert: Arson in Asbury Building

DPS: No injuries have been reported

From the Department of Public Safety

On Sunday, Nov. 25, during routine patrol, the Department of Public Safety identified two (2) vending machines in the Asbury Building had been vandalized.

The damage included deliberate/malicious fire damage to the front of both machines. There was no active fire on the scene at the time of the report. No injuries have been reported. The Department of Public Safety is investigating this incident.

There is no suspect description at this time.

If you have information relating to this incident, or witness suspicious activity, please call the Department of Public Safety at 202-885-3636 or 911 for the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) or the District of Columbia Fire Department (DCFD). You can also make a confidential tip through the Department of Public Safety web page.

Safety Tips

• All occupants are required to evacuate the building immediately when a fire alarm sounds or

some other evacuation signal is present.

• Keep calm.

• Use the nearest exit to leave the building.

• Use the stairwell only (hold on to hand rails).

• Do not use elevators.

• Person(s) with disabilities should be assisted to the stairwell landing. Request assistance from D.C. Fire Department personnel and direct them to the area where the disabled person(s) is waiting.

• Never attempt to travel through smoke-filled or other imminently hazardous areas.

• If you encounter smoke in the stairwells, close the door and use a different exit.

• Do not return to the evacuated building unless you are told to do so by Public Safety or DC Fire Department.

General Tips

• Program AU Public Safety into your cell phone for emergencies: 202-885-3636.

• The Department of Public Safety provides escorts, twenty-four hours a day/seven days a week, for community members to and from university owned property. To arrange for an escort, call 202-885-2527 or use a blue light or red emergency phone.

The American University Department of Public Safety (AUDPS) notifies the campus community when crimes are reported to AUDPS or the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) which the University believes represent a continuing threat to its students or employees, in a manner consistent with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. The University uses its best efforts to provide information that is both accurate and helpful, but community members should recognize that the University is able to relay information only as it is reported to AUDPS from MPD. Community members are encouraged to report external incidents to AUDPS to assist in the effective implementation of this program.