Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

Audiophile: 1.30.13

Looking for new music? DJs at WVAU share their thoughts on a range of recent releases.

José James | No Beginning No End

Intimate and understated R&B album showcases old-school talent.

I’ve never owned satin bedsheets, but I imagine they feel something like José James’ voice — so soft and so smooth.

José James’ “No Beginning No End” is a cool-soul masterpiece, blending cool jazz drumming with his soft voice and usually very little else to craft incredibly intimate and hip songs. When other instruments are included (horns, organ), they are tastefully sprinkled in, always funky and never abrasive. The ultra-hip jazz backing is reminiscent of ‘90s neo-soul: laid-back, thoughtful and emotional.

James’ voice is somewhere between the deep resonance of Aloe Blacc and the warm softness of Seal. There are no fancy gimmicks or intricate arrangements on the whole album, just a beautiful voice and a backing band that knows how to stay out of its way.

Recommended If You Like: Erykah Badu, Aloe Blacc, Seal

By Sean Meehan, We’re Hilarious, Saturdays 6-8p.m.

Nightlands | Oak Island

The War on Drugs’ Dave Hartley with hypnotic new sound.

A psychedelic, acoustic-backed ritual chant will draw you in. Then drums pick up in a swirl of soft sound, yet loud with passion that fades away to a harp solo. And suddenly, the next track.

This is how Nightland’s second release begins. The result is an album full of dreamy soundscapes paralleling island landscapes and chilling emotion through Justin Vernon-type falsetto and swelling harmonies.

As The War on Drugs’ bassist, most of Hartley’s tracks like “So it Goes” and “Born to Love” keep with his other work’s beautiful guitar arrangements, but “Oak Island” is completely his own. He blends everything together so gorgeously: bongos, harps, vocal synths, saxophone and the expected crisp guitar and bass.

A satisfying lower register dissolves with “Looking for Rain,” and “Oak Island” proves to be a heavenly choral experience and an open door for success.

RIYL: Panda Bear, Bon Iver, The War on Drugs, Youth Lagoon

By Molly Pfeffer, Velvet Session, Wednesdays 5-6 p.m.

Foxygen | We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic

These guys make good ol’ rock ‘n’ roll. No fancy crap.

It’s obvious that these guys love what they’re doing.

This record sounds like the band (just two members) sat down and recorded music just like their favorite ‘60s rock bands. Vocalist Sam France sounds like a mixture of Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger and Lou Reed.

The arrangement is simple: drums and bass, keys and guitar. The keys, lush vocal harmonies and occasional guitar give their sound some psychedelic elements and a rich sound.

They also use some unconventional instruments too, like the flute and bells in the intro of “San Francisco.”

The song structures jump around, and that’s just Foxygen doing what they want, when they want. This is best illustrated in the title track and “Shuggie,” which starts off slow and minor, then transitions into a faster groove with a different key. Then, for a random ten seconds in the last minute, they transition into a funk groove because why not? It works.

The Velvet Underground-reminiscent single, “No Destruction,” is the obvious stand-out track on the album, with its blunt, straight-up lyrics.

“We Are” excels because Foxygen isn’t trying to impress anyone. It’s just two guys doing their thing and rocking out.

RIYL: The Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Velvet Underground, The Rolling Stones

By Drew Sher, Fur Sher, Saturdays 4-6 p.m.