Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

TV Pick: Happy Endings

“Happy Endings” takes the traditional TV sitcom and turns it on its head.

The show follows a group of friends that are controlling, vengeful, selfish and downright hilarious. Other than using the orthodox formula where the friends work around a situation, the group in “Happy Endings” usually ends up causing the problems themselves. The show is all about mischievous pranks, bad decisions and forgiveness.

The atypical cast breaks the traditional sitcom norms. Max’s (Adam Pally, “Californication”) sarcastic and mischievous personality defies the usual portrayal of gay men in popular culture.

Additionally, the marriage between the sassy Brad (Damon Wayans Jr., “The Other Guys”) and the controlling Jane (Eliza Coupe, “What’s Your Number?”) is a challenge of traditional gender roles. The group’s flaws are more blatant and outlandish. But ultimately, each character has their own quirks that their friends and the audience learn to accept and love.

Anyone looking for great laughs, interesting characters and fresh TV should tune in to “Happy Endings.”