Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024

Victory over Bucknell keeps women's basketball tied atop PL standings

The women’s basketball team remains tied atop the Patriot League standings after beating Bucknell, 66-58, in Lewisburg, Penn. Jan. 30 to pick up their fifth win in six games.

“Bucknell is a very good team, so for us to come in here and have some success bolsters our confidence and gives us something to feel good about,” AU Head Coach Matt Corkery told aueagles.com. “We just want to try to keep figuring out ways to get better...I’m definitely proud of the effort and proud of the execution of the plays that we made to win the game.”

Junior guard Alexis Dobbs poured in a team-high 17 points, which included five three-pointers with four coming in the second half. Junior guard Geleisa George chipped in 12 points off of the bench, extending her streak of scoring in double-digits to seven games, while senior center Stephanie Anya added a season-high 12 points.

The Eagles (12-8, 5-1 PL) got off to a quick start, jumping out to a 23-4 lead midway through the first half thanks to numerous steals and easy transition points. However, Bucknell (13-8, 4-2 PL) then fought back to cut their deficit to 27-18, thanks to a 14-4 Bison run.

AU maintained a several point lead for most of the second half, but a late Bucknell run made it a one possession game with a little over a minute left. However, the Eagles put away the Bison by shooting 6-for-6 from the free throw line late in the game.

AU travels to Easton, Penn. next as they take on Lafayette (9-12, 2-4 PL) Feb. 2 at 2 p.m. The Eagles play a Leopard squad that’s far and away the best shot-blocking team in the Patriot League, but AU will continue to rely on defense, Dobbs and George as they look to continue their hot streak.